• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not surprised that an admittedly flippant remark that referenced a positive aspect of British history was enough to trigger the ‘self-loathers’ on here. 🙄
Not really a surprise is it, when you needlessly invoked the war for absolutely no reason

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good to see the Fisheries Minister was on top of things given the importance attached to fishing in the deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-victoria-prentis-fisheries-brexit-deal-nativity-b892200.html?amp

tavyred

I guess those countries 'actually occupied' would have very good reason for embracing a peace project.
I agree.
I think there is a mainland European ‘mentality’ when it comes to their willingness to co-operate at a supranational level.
Art is also right to flag up a British mentality probably borne out of us never having suffered the trauma of 20th century invasion like they have on the mainland. It’s nobody’s fault but our perspectives are different.
I quite like the situation we’ve arrived at where we can be friends and allies of our EU friends, yet not be ensconced in the project itself,

arthur

Good to see the Fisheries Minister was on top of things given the importance attached to fishing in the deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-victoria-prentis-fisheries-brexit-deal-nativity-b892200.html?amp
Yes, great to see our newly sovereign Government and Parliament is doing such a fine job

arthur

Not surprised that an admittedly flippant remark that referenced a positive aspect of British history was enough to trigger the ‘self-loathers’ on here. 🙄
Has it ever struck you that equating questioning oneself with self loathing is a sign of deep insecurity?

tavyred

Not really a surprise is it, when you needlessly invoked the war for absolutely no reason
I hate to break it to you, but most of the drivel we all put on here could be described as posting stuff “needlessly”. 👍

tavyred

Has it ever struck you that equating questioning oneself with self loathing is a sign of deep insecurity?
No.
Explain.

Spoonz Red E

Good to see you're putting 'self loathers' in quotes.

Progress.

Mr Jinx

I guess those countries 'actually occupied' would have very good reason for embracing a peace project.
I'm sure they would and that was one of the initial aims with the EEC. However, I don't see what it has morphed into (the current EU) as a peacemaker and possibly now a body that could exacerbate conflict. We saw as much with the Greek crisis where you had their left wing government crushed by being in the EU suddenly demanding WWII reparations from Germany! Not everyone living under the EU umbrella is a happy bunny...far from it in fact.

We came along to Europe's rescue eighty years ago and I have no doubt we'll have to do the same within the next 100 years.

Last edited:

arthur

No.
Explain.
Must I?

Every time I suggest ways in which this country might be a bit better, or behave differently in relation to other countries, you accuse me of loathing it.

If a person were to be unwilling or unable to ask themselves questions, i.e. not deploy self criticial faculties for fear of what they might find, you would conclude they were insecure.

A country secure in its position, and at ease with itself, can tolerate asking itself questions and reevaluating its past. A country where when this happens, the questioners are accused of self loathing and lack of patriotism does not strike me as being in a good place