• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
On Germany, there are concerns that they are seeing small pockets of the variant that was identified in the U.K. last year. Worrying for Ireland also as they are now home to Europe’s highest infection rates.

NB.
Spain also posted 61K new infections today. Looks like the the third wave is gathering pace on the European mainland.

Last edited:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
On Germany, there are concerns that they are seeing small pockets of the variant that was identified in the U.K. last year. Worrying for Ireland also as they are now home to Europe’s highest infection rates.

NB.
Spain also posted 61K new infections today. Looks like the the third wave is gathering pace on the European mainland.
Really not good, given they had a very definitive second wave - which largely fuelled our rise in September. Record cases in Portugal too, concentrated in heavily built up Greater Lisbon and Porto.
It seems you can run, but not hide it, from Mr C once it is endemic.

Alistair20000

Really not good, given they had a very definitive second wave - which largely fuelled our rise in September. Record cases in Portugal too, concentrated in heavily built up Greater Lisbon and Porto.
Given that Mr C has spread from a single case in Wuhan (apparently) all around the world it has never been realistic to expect to control him.

Mr Jinx

Yes, this has been my take on it from early on. Wondering at what point our Government will say it's ok to come out of your houses given that it could take 2 years to get everyone vaccinated?

I'd like to think it'd be mid Feb, but in reality it probably will be Mid Feb...in 2022.

tavyred

Yes, this has been my take on it from early on. Wondering at what point our Government will say it's ok to come out of your houses given that it could take 2 years to get everyone vaccinated?

I'd like to think it'd be mid Feb, but in reality it probably will be Mid Feb...in 2022.
2 years is a not a timeline I’ve seen Jinxy.
The plan is as far as I know to vaccinate the top four priority groups by the 15th February and seeing how this cohort of population is where we see 88% of deaths, then that should make a helluva difference as to when we start to think about lifting lockdowns etc.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
2 years is a not a timeline I’ve seen Jinxy.
The plan is as far as I know to vaccinate the top four priority groups by the 15th February and seeing how this cohort of population is where we see 88% of deaths, then that should make a helluva difference as to when we start to think about lifting lockdowns etc.
That is how I understand the 'plan' to be too and given where we are support it. I remain comcerned about the noises we are hearing about suppressing spread post vulnerable vaccination, and whilst we may start to see schools re-admitting students to their buildings and things like outdoor kids sport, etc - I get the distinct impression that things like crowds at sports fixtures, pubs and restaurants reopening fully and the like are a long way off and may not be fully restored before some need to reintroduce them next autumn to 'protect the NHS' next winter.

Let's see.

Alistair20000

That is how I understand the 'plan' to be too and given where we are support it. I remain comcerned about the noises we are hearing about suppressing spread post vulnerable vaccination, and whilst we may start to see schools re-admitting students to their buildings and things like outdoor kids sport, etc - I get the distinct impression that things like crowds at sports fixtures, pubs and restaurants reopening fully and the like are a long way off and may not be fully restored before some need to reintroduce them next autumn to 'protect the NHS' next winter.

Let's see.
Hopefully the summer months when Covid is likely to abate until the autumn will give the Government time to prepare the NHS a bit more more adequately. The summer of 2020 was largely wasted from that perspective.

IndoMike

Hopefully the summer months when Covid is likely to abate until the autumn will give the Government time to prepare the NHS a bit more more adequately. The summer of 2020 was largely wasted from that perspective.
The principal characteristic of this Govt is not to prepare and have contingency plans. It's the old 'make it up as you go along" syndrome.

Alistair20000

The principal characteristic of this Govt is not to prepare and have contingency plans. It's the old 'make it up as you go along" syndrome.
Sadly lots of evidence for that but vaccine roll out seems to going reasonably well so far; better than in lots of the rest of Europe.

IndoMike

Sadly lots of evidence for that but vaccine roll out seems to going reasonably well so far; better than in lots of the rest of Europe.
Yes. It seems to be. Bringing the armed forces in was a good move.