• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MDT : Exeter City v Bolton Wanderers 7pm KO

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looking at those highlights, that piece of magic from Matt Jay leading up to our goal looks even better than in real time last night. 👏 👏 👏

malcolms

I thought so as well at the time, but looking at it again, he certainly wasn't....

View attachment 5175
This picture also shows how bad our basic organisation is at the back, we have 5 players in our half and they have 3 and yet Sarcevic is still in acres of space down the right hand side.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Totally agree! I didn't like how much Bolton were easily getting through the middle 2 to have a free run at our already fragile defence. Could and probably should have cost us a defeat. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we changed to a back 3 when Caprice and Page and were subbed with Hartridge Sweeny and Parkes at the back. We looked a better shape.
MT eluded to that in his interview - saying it allowed us to have two up top - and hinted at using it at Harrogate on Saturday.

arthur

When we played this system last year JR was asked to play left wing, which clearly didn't suit him. I can see him playing either next to bowman or behind bowman, switching with Jay playing in the hole. Yes it would mean JR having to play more direct, but the lad has the qualities to do that.
..or instead of Bowman, next to MJ? 1986 world Cup, replace Hateley with Beardsley and then what happened?

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
This picture also shows how bad our basic organisation is at the back, we have 5 players in our half and they have 3 and yet Sarcevic is still in acres of space down the right hand side.
Doesn't really tell the full story though Malcs. I posted this earlier, but the goal which I think will disappoint MT has come from a 2nd phase off of our own throw-in. That is why Sparkes looks so out of position as he took the throw-in and so he wasn't really at fault. Off our throw in the ball was cleared and the first error is that Parkes's headed clearance (first contact) isn't good enough and drops down in the middle of the field instead of going deep back into Bolton's half (something MT has spoken about before). Then Atangana allows Sarvevic to run off the back of him and as some have already commented maybe Maxted could have cut out the cross (possibly harsh), and you could also argue that maybe Caprice could have done more to get back inside of the scorer.

Probably shows the fine margins that we are the wrong side of at present. No real major mistakes but small ones that all contributed to conceding when we had looked comfortable for most of the game.