• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

MDT : Exeter City v Bolton Wanderers 7pm KO

Grecianpasty

Teams are getting a lot of joy down our left hand side of the pitch when up against Sparkes.Hartridge looks a stronger more natural defensive option to come on when replacing Page...Jack is a real threat in the opposition half of the pitch and that’s where he needs to play..not as a wingback.
Agreed. Defensively sparkes is naive and lacks discipline as noted with yesterday's goal and sheff weds second.

Grecianpasty

With the teams current defensive issues and light weight midfield this would be a good time to revert to our tried and tested 3-5-2. It would suit a lot of our players, hartidge and Sweeney can utilise their strengths on the ball either side of Parkes. Key and page/sparkes would be filling a more natural position for both of them on the pitch, and it would provide a creative role for Law, whilst bolstering our light weight midfield.

The 4-4-2 seems too one dimensional in my view, and shows a lack of creativity by MT not to be able to deliver a plan b.

We have become predictable.

eurogrecian

I still think Sarcevic was offside in the build up to their goal.
I thought so as well at the time, but looking at it again, he certainly wasn't....

eurogrecian

I thought so as well at the time, but looking at it again, he certainly wasn't....
Apologies, this image already sent by another poster....

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the teams current defensive issues and light weight midfield this would be a good time to revert to our tried and tested 3-5-2. It would suit a lot of our players, hartidge and Sweeney can utilise their strengths on the ball either side of Parkes. Key and page/sparkes would be filling a more natural position for both of them on the pitch, and it would provide a creative role for Law, whilst bolstering our light weight midfield.

The 4-4-2 seems too one dimensional in my view, and shows a lack of creativity by MT not to be able to deliver a plan b.

The big problem with playing three at the back is how to fit in Joel Randall. However, I wonder if it might be a time to give him a rest and use him as an impact sub. I would like to see more of Hartridge and playing as one of three may help ease into the team without putting too much pressure on him defensively and I think his excellent passing would also add something creatively.

Grecianpasty

The big problem with playing three at the back is how to fit in Joel Randall. However, I wonder if it might be a time to give him a rest and use him as an impact sub. I would like to see more of Hartridge and playing as one of three may help ease into the team without putting too much pressure on him defensively and I think his excellent passing would also add something creatively.
When we played this system last year JR was asked to play left wing, which clearly didn't suit him. I can see him playing either next to bowman or behind bowman, switching with Jay playing in the hole. Yes it would mean JR having to play more direct, but the lad has the qualities to do that.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
After watching the highlights I take back my assertion that Hartridge would have scored had Atangana not gone for that scissor kick. He might have scored but he'd have to thread his shot through a lot of players to do so!

JCWhoosh

Totally agree! I didn't like how much Bolton were easily getting through the middle 2 to have a free run at our already fragile defence. Could and probably should have cost us a defeat. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we changed to a back 3 when Caprice and Page and were subbed with Hartridge Sweeny and Parkes at the back. We looked a better shape.

grecianstew

It's always hard to judge when the ball is played long but this screenshot suggests he was clearly on-side.
View attachment 5174
I make you right. The pic also shows the lino to be perfectly placed to judge.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Totally agree! I didn't like how much Bolton were easily getting through the middle 2 to have a free run at our already fragile defence. Could and probably should have cost us a defeat. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we changed to a back 3 when Caprice and Page and were subbed with Hartridge Sweeny and Parkes at the back. We looked a better shape.
I too thought that when Caprice went off we went to a back three