• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ajose

red1

I know this has been discussed on here, but as he was our "Big News" signing last season and has hardly featured, would it be unreasonable for someone on the media team to ask Taylor what the real story is? Other than the lame response "others are in front of him". Sometimes difficult questions need to be asked, and as much as most of us like Taylor, he does get an easy ride from journalists/media people. Did Taylor ever see him play before signing him?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The media team are there to present a good, positive image of the club - they exist for the marketing so it shouldn't be asked by them.

E&E and BBC Devon on the other hand....

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I know this has been discussed on here, but as he was our "Big News" signing last season and has hardly featured, would it be unreasonable for someone on the media team to ask Taylor what the real story is? Other than the lame response "others are in front of him". Sometimes difficult questions need to be asked, and as much as most of us like Taylor, he does get an easy ride from journalists/media people. Did Taylor ever see him play before signing him?
While I think we are all disappointed/frustrated with the Ajose situation I don't think it is realistic for the clubs own media team to pose these types of questions to MT. I do however feel that BBC Radio Devon and Devon Live should have asked these tough questions to MT.
As a consequence I feel the whole situation hasn't helped Ben Seymour as many fans frustrations regarding Ajose (I'm guilty of this myself) have been projected onto Ben and the criticism that he is now getting.
Incidentally I'm not sure if Seymour is going to make it at this level, but feel he deserves a bit more time, and a loan would certainly help.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think Taylor must be in denial on this one.

jrg333

Did Taylor ever see him play before signing him?
Most likely played against Ajose to be fair. Ajose was a regular scorer for Bury in 2010-11 while Matt was playing for us in League Two. I can't be bothered to go and check the match reports, but Taylor definitely would have seen him play, if not having to mark him directly in a League Two or One game

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ajose could have worked out, he just needed plenty of game time to get his sharpness back and the right system to play in, playing 5 - 10 minute cameos isn't going to get anything out of him.

Surely Taylor signed Ajose to score goals, he wasn't signed to run the channels and do the work Bowman does, I think Taylor has been disappointed with his work rate etc however I doubt Ajose has changed much as a player in terms of what he offers, he's always been a finisher, he's probably never been a workhorse.

It hasn't worked out and in my opinion a lot of that has been down to Taylor, not Ajose.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
This shows how football can change, the careers of both players have gone downhill big time.

Nicky Ajose and Yaser Kasim: Swindon Town planning for life without star duo - BBC Sport

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with the OP in that the interviewers are a bit soft in the line of questioning. You expect that from the people involved in the club but sometimes it pays to make the tone of the interview a bit more feisty.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fisher is the same as well, he's hardly been given a chance, the only time he has been given a run of games was in November 2019, he started about 5 or 6 games and scored 3 goals.

He hasn't really been given any backing by Taylor.

lamrobhero

Journalists can ask any questions that they want. "Should" Matt answer them? Not if he doesn't want to. Why should he? I wouldn't.