• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup 3rd round proper matchday thread

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think it was a shockingly bad performance yesterday, but it was certainly a disappointing one. I guess this was heightened by the fact that we hadn't played since Boxing Day and, consequently, this game had received more attention than it might otherwise have done.

At the same time, I can appreciate why people might be disheartened. Opportunities to reach the fourth round of the FA Cup don't come along too often, so when they do you hope, at the very least, that you'll give it a real go [a la Crawley]. I'm not sure we did that.

As I've already pointed out, at 1-0 down, and with the match still in the balance, four of our top goalscorers this season [Randall, Taylor, Bowman, and Jay] were heading back to the dressing room for an early shower. A pal WhatsApp'd me the following message with which I can't altogether disagree:

'I think I'm right in saying this game was worth 82 grand, not to mention the chance to make a bit of genuine club history. If these aren't the kind of games the club lives for, then what's the point?'

That said, three points against Bolton on Tuesday evening and yesterday will quickly be forgotten!

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't hold with the "they're Championship and we're just league 2" argument. So what? Cup runs rely on teams playing above themselves, something we used to do on a regular basis up until the Man U replay IMO and since have consistantly failed at.
Liverpool at home?
Gillingham away? (not very long ago, they're a division above us and mid-table)

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Liverpool at home?
Gillingham away? (not very long ago, they're a division above us and mid-table)
Didn't see either as us being underdogs, should have won both IMO, Liverpool played a youth team, Gillingham were just crap.

SaintJames

suffolklad

What you think?
Since when did you become a psychoanalyst. Instead of getting personal why not try accepting that people will have a different view from you at times.

Bittners a Legend

The comments on here are hilarious. We have scored 40 goals in 19 games. Our attacking play is not a problem but we concede too many soft goals. If we had a solid defence and a team that averaged over 2 goals a game we would win the league with 100 points. It is hardly a big surprise we don't. This is still a relatively young side learning its way and inconsistency is not a surprise to any reasonable person.

We put in an average performance against a Championship side, 7 of which started the previous game. All the hype and expectation about the weak Wednesday team didn't really play out in reality. If we had found a way of getting an equaliser we would probably have won in extra time. I was surprised we took Bowman off and am not convinced by Seymour yet but the drama on here is hilarious. I expected this to be a season of transition so to be competing for a play off place (maybe more) and having reached the third round of the FA Cup constitutes a pretty good first half to the season in my opinion.

tonykellowfan

McCardle and Seymour are major disappointments this season and should not be playing.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
McCardle and Seymour are major disappointments this season and should not be playing.
Have you considered that maybe they were all we could afford in our budgetting for the season ? Ollie's move hadn't happened when our budget was drawn up ? There is still no end in sight to this crisis. We continue to haemorrhage money. We are in crisis mode, and first and foremost need not only to survive, but emerge in the strongest state possible.

tonykellowfan

Have you considered that maybe they were all we could afford in our budgetting for the season ? Ollie's move hadn't happened when our budget was drawn up ? There is still no end in sight to this crisis. We continue to haemorrhage money. We are in crisis mode, and first and foremost need not only to survive, but emerge in the strongest state possible.
That is all true but it doesn't mean they should be playing now.

Ash

I'm sure you're correct regarding the budget, but I suspect tonykellowfan was implying that we have better options than those two players under almost any circumstances and within our current squad. I am no fan of Ajose or Fisher, but I'd probably rather see either of them on the pitch ahead of Seymour most of the time. Same goes for Dean, Hartridge & perhaps Dyer over McCardle.
Personally I've now seen enough of McCardle to know that he should be doing the same role Warren had last season: Not playing. Hopefully he's great to have around the dressing room and is a positive influence and role model in training because on the pitch, he's a liability.