• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Window - What do we need - Buy or Loan

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pot - kettle - black [see post 55].
Yes, I am pleased to see that no one has taken literally the typo that Randall (!), rather than Randell, is a free agent in the summer, that would be disastrous news!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who we sign will all depend on what happens with Williams.
Either you're on the wind up or you're delusional. Williams has been average at best and poor pretty mist of the time. I've got more chance winning the lottery than us selling and getting anything worthwhile for Williams in January.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Either you're on the wind up or you're delusional. Williams has been average at best and poor pretty mist of the time. I've got more chance winning the lottery than us selling and getting anything worthwhile for Williams in January.
Not necessarily. Williams has been ineffective and seemingly demotivated recently, it's true. But he has many good attributes and clubs often think they can turn around a player who has done well the previous season but is going through a bad patch, they argue that a change of scene will spark them to recapture their form. And it sometimes works.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not necessarily. Williams has been ineffective and seemingly demotivated recently, it's true. But he has many good attributes and clubs often think they can turn around a player who has done well the previous season but is going through a bad patch, they argue that a change of scene will spark them to recapture their form. And it sometimes works.
But would they pay for this change of scenery what was offered in the summer or similar, these sort of 'charitable' offerings usually happen when a player is out of contract.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed. Even when Williams is is not playing well, he attracts the attention of defending players, which often free up space elsewhere. There is a really strong case that the success of players like Jay and Randell are due to the space he creates.

GrecianExile

Please give him the respect of at least spelling his name correctly.
Apologies it’s RandAll not Randell, thank you for picking up on my terrible error 👍🏻

scottus86

A right sided centre back is the only necessary signing, I'm not convinced by McArdle, Sweeney is alright but we could do better.

I'm not convinced any of our strikers are great, but we have a lot and we'll have to make do in that department, we are scoring for fun at the moment anyway.

Corey

Unless anyone leaves in January (probably Randall or Randell) I think we have a very good squad, especially at League 2 level. Only area I would like to see us strengthen if funds are available is at CB. Wouldn’t be against a loan signing but as has already been mentioned, they would be inexperienced, probably not accustomed to league football, and not what we need right now. I would rather see us bring in a player kind of like we did with Randell Williams two years ago: lots of potential, someone who may not be setting the world alight yet but we can develop, as we seem to be so good at doing.
I also think it’s ridiculous to suggest we need a new goalkeeper. Maxted isn’t perfect but he does make some incredible saves on his day, and Ward is agood keeper for this level. We would only be wasting valuable funds on yet another keeper imo.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pot - kettle - black [see post 55].
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yet another Ballz up to add to the back catalogue.

😆😆

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will Bowman attract interest in January considering he is the player other managers ask about most (according to Matt Taylor).