• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The voice of golf..Peter Alliss(89)

DB9

Never been a fan of Golf but his programme back in the day I think was called "Pro-Celebrity Golf" was always amusing, Had the likes of Tarbuck, Forsythe etc teamed up with a professional was always entertaining. RIP

elginCity

'The Voice' indeed ... Peter Allis RIP to join fellow commentators Bill McLaren, John Arlott, Murray Walker, Whispering Ted Lowe and others in their respective sports.

Never really been a stand out 'voice of football' imo.

grecIAN Harris

'The Voice' indeed ... Peter Allis RIP to join fellow commentators Bill McLaren, John Arlott, Murray Walker, Whispering Ted Lowe and others in their respective sports.

Never really been a stand out 'voice of football' imo.
Probably because there have been three 'voices of football', Barry Davies, John Motson and Brian Moore.

Grecian2K

Probably because there have been three 'voices of football', Barry Davies, John Motson and Brian Moore.
How can you omit Kenneth "they think it's all over" Wolstenholme from that hall of fame?

manc grecian

Get in the hole.

RIP

grecIAN Harris

How can you omit Kenneth "they think it's all over" Wolstenholme from that hall of fame?
Time served. The three I mentioned have been associated to football commentary for well over 25 years each in an era when football was being bought to the masses via their TV screens through MtoD and The Big Match. Whilst Wolstenholme commentated on football for 20 years he was only on MtoD for seven of them.

Alistair20000

Never been a fan of Golf but his programme back in the day I think was called "Pro-Celebrity Golf" was always amusing, Had the likes of Tarbuck, Forsythe etc teamed up with a professional was always entertaining. RIP
Also Terry Wogan and Ronnie Corbett IIRC.

Peter Allis always reminded viewers that had he been able to putt a bit better he would have won more tournaments

RIP

Reactions: DB9

Rosencrantz

Also Terry Wogan and Ronnie Corbett IIRC.

Peter Allis always reminded viewers that had he been able to putt a bit better he would have won more tournaments

RIP
Who could forget Sir Tel...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153359783632217&id=228735667216

grecIAN Harris

There was also a programme called 'A Round With Aiyss' which I seemed to recall was basically an interview with whoever the guest was whilst playing a round of golf.