• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What tipple are you drinking tonight thread

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Got well and truly inebriated on Talisker 'Dark Storm' single malt and Amstel beer while watching Chiefs vs Barf.

Luckily for me my son was handy to get me to bed.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Talisker 'Dark Storm' single malt
(y)

sign of the chimes

I'm unexpectedly back at Fratton Park tomorrow, the sort of odds that never come up on one of my £2 accumulators has landed me with a ticket for the first home match back against another side with aspirations for the top of the division. Would normally sink a few beers beforehand and then come back and knock back some serviceable, but not fancy, red without giving too much consideration as to what it is. However, I'm not taking the 'substantial meal' option pre-match on the basis of risk management for others so need to give the wine a bit more consideration. As a result I've got a decent Lebanese red that might come in to play if we win; though I suspect I might end up in a different section of the wine cupboard.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
As a result I've got a decent Lebanese red that might come in to play
Chateau Musar? One of my favourite reds.

sign of the chimes

The one I was referring to was a Chateau Qanafar - which is a Syrah/Merlot blend, but like you I adore Chateau Musar and I'd say that Cabernet Sauvignon is typically my 'go to'.

Either of those would have befitted this evening after the sheer joy of being back in the Fratton End, capped off by a great result against a promotion rival and an incredible second goal to seal the victory. However, having poured a double IPA as soon as I got in and not being in the mood for the proper decant I've gone for a Chilean Carmenere at about half the bottle price. This was in no way influenced by the fact that my significant other was also very clearly in the 'wine zone' when I got in and that if they'd not I'd have been guaranteed the lion's share of the bottle.

Only recently stumbled across this thread so will have to look back and see if there are any recommended gems amongst the posts.

sign of the chimes

Was gifted a bottle of the 2001 Musar today Hants. The aforementioned Qanafar has been earmarked for Christmas Day - so the Musar may well come out after I break my drinking duck in 2021 (I typically do dry January and then end up continuing in to the Spring before resuming with something decent).

Tonight is a new (to me) Barossa Shiraz from Naked Wines from our Christmas selection. I'd love to claim the selection was carefully made but I chose it because it was called 'Gilo', which put me in mind of an England cricketer.

Anyway, raising a toast to all on this forum tonight. Wishing you, yours and your club the very best for a safe, healthy and enjoyable Christmas and a very happy and hopeful 2021.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Was gifted a bottle of the 2001 Musar today Hants.
I have a 2001 one in the wine rack. When the supermarket has a 25% off offer on 6 or more, then I always select a bottle. Not sure when I'll get to open it though.

Enjoy!

Avening Posse

Vasse Felix Margaret River Classic Dry Red Shiraz 2018 :love:

Avening Posse

And moved onto the Chivas.....this staying in on New Years isn’t too bad !!, only about 2 hours until new year in Oz 🍻

Alistair20000

And moved onto the Chivas.....this staying in on New Years isn’t too bad !!, only about 2 hours until new year in Oz 🍻
Enjoy Mr Posse 🥃

We will be sampling several different single malts later today.