• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Update on the SJP works

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't remember who it was, or on what thread, but somebody asked about a lorry with HIAB at the St James Rd end this week and what was going on.
Well you'll be pleased to know that it was to do with updates to the away end and Grandstand catering hut.
Firstly, the 'newish' white portacabin that was beside the away ticket office, has been moved into the small area by the new Grandstand toilets/catering hut. It now blocks the view from outside the ground by filling in the gap that was at the left - as you look from BB - of the away stand. The catering hut has been moved about a foot to make a bit more room for this, a set of steps have been built into the catering hut and another set to lead down to behind the left hand section of the away end. The whole of the rear of the left section of the away end has been cleared of weeds rubbish and rubble, leveled, re-hard cored with a new retaining wall built with steps leading down to the double gates at the away end. all in all a very good bit of tidying up and very impressive.
Scott, could you maybe take a few phots of this work and post on here and the Website, i'm sure there are lots of people who have possibly never seen behind the away end.
Good work Andy and the rest (y)

Colesman Ballz

Thanks. Here you go ...

Yikes, in photo no.1 it looks rather like some beggar has fly tipped an old fridge behind it already ! :cool:

Andy Holloway

Good work Andy and the rest (y)
Max, this work was nothing to do with me, i only took the photos. The praise must go the Grounds Staff for organising things, The Club for paying for it and 'The Colonel' for his building skills, a joint effort, which is what the club is all about, working together towards a common aim!
For those you remember it, the old WW2 toilet backslash is still there, if a little covered up now!

Andy Holloway

Yikes, in photo no.1 it looks rather like some beggar has fly tipped an old fridge behind it already ! :cool:
I think that it's actually an electrical box which is something to do with providing power around the ground, of course it could also be the start of providing a new, all singing, all dancing score/information board!!! We can but dream, maybe a bit of crowd funding......

Red Bill

I think that it's actually an electrical box which is something to do with providing power around the ground, of course it could also be the start of providing a new, all singing, all dancing score/information board!!! We can but dream, maybe a bit of crowd funding......
We had that trial of a big scoreboard a few years ago, presumably someone did a feasibility/cost/benefit type study. I've often wondered what the conclusion was?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
We had that trial of a big scoreboard a few years ago, presumably someone did a feasibility/cost/benefit type study. I've often wondered what the conclusion was?
As we don't have one now then presumably that was the conclusion?

Oldsmobile-88

As we don't have one now then presumably that was the conclusion?
I think that is correct..NLM answered a question on one of the facebook groups about the subject.
Neil usually knows what’s going on with his work around the club.
It’s more of a vanity addition to the ground rather than a money spinner once all costs are considered.

SaintJames

I would assume the pitchside advertising board does the job better in terms of advertising revenue?

iscalad

Max, this work was nothing to do with me, i only took the photos. The praise must go the Grounds Staff for organising things, The Club for paying for it and 'The Colonel' for his building skills, a joint effort, which is what the club is all about, working together towards a common aim!
For those you remember it, the old WW2 toilet backslash is still there, if a little covered up now!
Toilet should be grade 1 listed

Red Bill

I would assume the pitchside advertising board does the job better in terms of advertising revenue?
Yes maybe. Don't know where we'd put one now anyway.