• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Dan McCauley

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I used to live down the road from Dan McCauley and went to school with his step daughter.

There's a crap claim to fame for you.

Alistair20000

I used to live down the road from Dan McCauley and went to school with his step daughter.

There's a crap claim to fame for you.
His numerous interests in companies on the Companies House website show an address in Pinhoe

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do recall that..I remember thinking at the time that it was bang out of order to go to Mr Hills home.

It was a small group of younger supporters iirc.The exuberance of youth was a forgiving factor with the Hills I would imagine.
As I recall, Al Crockford was involved in this.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember reading that during France '98 some City fans found out they were staying in the same hotel as the then Argyle chairman, persuaded reception to give them his room number then constantly called him throughout the night 🤣

Didn’t a pic of the banner make the front page of the Sunday Independent which was quite a big thing in those days.
It might be the Freddie Starr rather than Dan, the former was supposedly threatening to take over the club. During those protests my banner read "Clifford Hill ate my Club" which made the local press. It is a bit out of context unless you remember that Mr Starr apparently once ate someone's hamster. Thankfully, Clifford stood his ground as latterly the 'would be' club owner was linked in Operation Yewtree to Gary Glitter and Jimmy Saville.

PeteUSA

The Freddie Starr thing was a different issue. Dan stood on the big bank among the fans as his banner was dragged across the SJP skies.

budegrecian

Wasn't he instrumental in getting Bally as manager?

Oldsmobile-88

Wasn't he instrumental in getting Bally as manager?
I think that was Stuart Dawes...Dawes was there on a supporters club evening soon after Bally was appointment.

budegrecian

I think that was Stuart Dawes...Dawes was there on a supporters club evening soon after Bally was appointment.
Thanks for that. I'm sure you're right. I knew it was someone with a green connection..

Oldsmobile-88

Thanks for that. I'm sure you're right. I knew it was someone with a green connection..
Stuart Dawes had been the chairman at Plymouth previously iirc.
He became a director at SJP.It was all around the Allan Trump era of running the club.
Just thinking back that was a interesting meeting,Bally,Dawes,Trump.It took place in the directors room in the Grandstand.There were about 20 of us there.
Terry Coopers surprise departure in pre season was brought up.Allan Trump said that he could not be held to his contract because of a release clause that had been inserted the previous season.