• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

F1 2020

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Relief that he's olay. Didn't think he would.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Shocking accident, both in terms of how it happened and the aftermath. It’s a long time since I’ve seen a car on fire and ripped in half like that. So pleased to see Grosjean leaping the barrier to safety.

Rosencrantz

Big tick for the safety cell and halo. Big question on the barrier and lack of protection in front of it. Having said that, it's hard to foresee that angle of impact at that part of the track.

Rosencrantz

No more discussion on the halo I think.

Rosencrantz

Got to hand it to the two Marshall's and Dr Ian Roberts who ran straight to the fire.

Antony Moxey

I wonder if the FIA might issue something to the drivers regarding their conduct during future races. Up until Grosjean’s crash it was like watching a banger race the way the cars were bumping each other searching for gaps that weren’t there, and then we get Stroll flipped after the restart too. Think Hamilton’s pretty much the only that hasn’t been clumped at some point during this race so far.

Rosencrantz

I wonder if the FIA might issue something to the drivers regarding their conduct during future races. Up until Grosjean’s crash it was like watching a banger race the way the cars were bumping each other searching for gaps that weren’t there, and then we get Stroll flipped after the restart too. Think Hamilton’s pretty much the only that hasn’t been clumped at some point during this race so far.
Kyvat got the penalty for flipping Stroll. You are always going to have close racing and possible contact on the first lap. I think the FIA will be looking more at why the Armco behaved as it did and why the car split in half and what could be done better.

Rosencrantz

Another fire although this one more normal. Gutting for Perez and Racing Point. No points for a tight constructors championship and McLaren will be close along with Renault. Pleased for Alex Albon though on getting a podium. Bit scary for Lando with the marshall running across the track in front of him.

Hamilton and Verstappen the class of the field again.

Antony Moxey

Kyvat got the penalty for flipping Stroll. You are always going to have close racing and possible contact on the first lap. I think the FIA will be looking more at why the Armco behaved as it did and why the car split in half and what could be done better.
Yes you’ll get close racing but there still might be something issued telling the drivers to wind it in a bit regards the contact. I don’t think it’d hurt to remind them of their responsibilities.

As for the Armco, given the race took place and passed the FIA’s safety protocols I’m not sure what they’d do. Perhaps make it more parallel with the track and move the adjacent barrier further away from the track to ensure there was still a safety access, but even so where Grosjean went through it was not somewhere you’d expect an accident to take place given it was just passed a right hand bend on the right hand side, plus with the angle it’s at it should deflect any cars that might glance it away from the bridge support a couple of yards further up the track.

One thing though, were I Grosjean I think I’d rather chance my luck piercing Armco than hitting those solid concrete blocks they put in as a replacement head on at 150mph.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It looks like he went in at about a 90° angle, which is also not what would be expected.

As much as I wanted to know what was happening, I was pleased that the TV producer did not immediately cut to the incident but waited until Grosjean was out before showing images.