• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
And another one. It certainly pays well to be a friend of Carrie.

Exclusive: No10 faces another cronyism row over bid to give Carrie Johnson's 'novice' friend a £90,000 job (for which she has no qualifications). Bring back Dom!

IndoMike

Funny reading all the Moaning Minnie posts. And BREXIT hasn't even started yet.
Should have thought about the consequences of voting for Boris a year ago. Surprised people didn't see through him. No good moaning now : he is free to keep farking up and breaking the rules. The penny has dropped too late.☹

tavyred

Didn't think it was anything to do with immigration Jinxy, so I'm not sure how this can be any defence.

You'll be glad to know that about 50% of Eastern Europeans I know have returned "home" already, and if it wasn't for putting down long term roots, many others would happily leave your paradise too.
Is anyone claiming our much derided country (by some) is a paradise?
It would appear that just as some people get triggered by random pictures of our flag, the thought of the U.K. being a popular choice to live and work is for some equally triggering.🙄

arthur

Thanks for the link to the interview. It's quite enlightening. I think the biggest take away from it is this vaguely defined word "unsafe". A word those prominent in the new Cancel Culture cling to and hide behind.

As far as I can gather it's wheeled out when someone somewhere just doesn't like something and uses "unsafe" as a vehicle to try and elicit some kind of action. It's like the tube drivers when they go on strike and say it's all about safety, when really it's not. More money (the real reason) is tangible and can be picked apart, whereas "safety" isn't and can't be.

Hopefully Suzanne's plight will put the brakes on said vehicle somewhat.

I've hated the word for a while. "Stay safe" just really gets my goat.
Totally agree, "unsafe" is a wonderful catch all. There was a time when I thought I was the only person in the country who was on the side of Jeremy Hunt rather than the Junior Doctors. Part of the dispute was whether enhanced overtime rates would kick in at Noon on Saturday or 5 pm. This was apparently a matter which affected patient safety!

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone claiming our much derided country (by some) is a paradise?
It would appear that just as some people get triggered by random pictures of our flag, the thought of the U.K. being a popular choice to live and work is for some equally triggering.🙄
Not triggered here. Didn't claim it was a paradise. I'd get more of them over. The more immigrants we have, the less likely I am to live next your hard done by, white, little Englander. 🤣

arthur

Not triggered here.
Do not feed the troll:cool:

tavyred

Not triggered here. Didn't claim it was a paradise. I'd get more of them over. The more immigrants we have, the less likely I am to live next your hard done by, white, little Englander. 🤣
If you weren’t triggered by Jinxy’s perfectly reasonable (backed by facts) supposition about the ongoing popularity of the U.K. with immigrants, why didn’t you just scroll on by?
Just as overt displays of his own flag annoys art, the thought of Brexit Britain not being what you thought it would be obviously irks you also.
You can’t help it, remoaners base most of their anti Brexit thinking on a self loathing antipathy to the U.K. being outside of the EU’s orbit of influence. It suited your narrative to paint Brexit Britain as a narrow minded xenophobic little island that no European would dream of living in, alas for you it was just another remainer myth.
You have my sympathy.

arthur

Just as overt displays of his own flag annoys art,
Oh FFS I'm going to feed the troll after all

I made the observation (18324) that Every time I see a photograph of a government minister in their office, there are normally two large union flags prominently displayed. I'm sure this never used to be the case ...

AU and others suggested this was not uncommon and gave various examples. I then showed pictures of Chancellors Brown and Clarke making Budget broadcasts with no flags in sight which contrasted with Sunak merely working in his office (not making an official statement to the nation) with two large union flags prominent.

It is therefore clearly demonstrated that it is indeed the case that ministers' offices were not adorned with union flags until relatively recently. This, my dear Tavy, is a simple statement of fact - no triggering involved.

What I went on to say, in the bit of my post you said you couldn't understand, is that my concern is not whether people display flags or not (that's entirely up to them), but what happens when people choose not to. If person A chooses to display a flag (or poppy) and person B chooses not to, that should not be used to judge whether person A is more patriotic/is more respectful of The Fallen, than person B. However, my fear is that this ostentatious displaying of the union flag by the Brexit/Johnson government is designed to achieve precisely that judging.

If this is what being "triggered" is, then I'm a banana

fred binneys head

I guess what I find most surprising is that if the UK is such a terrible, narrow minded and nasty place to live (the picture Remainers have painted), why do so many want to stay here? I think you'll find it's because the UK is actually none of those things and never really was.
It’s because only 52% of it is and they live in the other 48% 😉

tavyred

It’s because only 52% of it is and they live in the other 48% 😉
Nah, the 48% said they were leaving, or least said they were. 😉