• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Every time I see a photograph of a government minister in their office, there are normally two large union flags prominently displayed. I'm sure this never used to be the case and suspect it's all about the Johnson/Brexit Party's claim to be deeply patriotic, inferring that anyone who opposes them isn't. (Ironic really, given that when it comes to caring about one's country and society, Johnson would feature fairly in the nether reaches of any league table, since the thing he cares about above everything else is himself)
Nope, pretty much always happened. Happens throughout Europe and often with an EU flag, and a flag of the nation. It’s important to many people and should take the flag back from the extreme right, which despite many people’s protestations otherwise are not extreme right. They’re nearly back to being the conservatives of the 80’s.

IndoMike

Those stilton manufacturers better up their game I think.
Agree. And some some to bleddy Indonesia while they're at it!

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree. And some some to bleddy Indonesia while they're at it!
You've still got shortages Mike? That's tough.

IndoMike

You've still got shortages Mike? That's tough.
Life is hard, Red. I can get gorgonzola but stilton still not available. The end is nigh, I tell 'ee.

IndoMike

I have bought a huge Union Jack and I wrap it around me every day. This means I am a true patriot and therefore I am not reproachable. As a result, by extension, anyone who disagrees with any of my beliefs and opinions is attacking the country and is a traitor who hates the UK.

angelic upstart

Seemingly it's only the Union Jack that gets this rep. This is because the ordinary person has deserted it, normalising the flag by seeing it regularly, is only a good thing.

dontpassback

Not really relevant but the union flag should only be called the Union Jack,when it is flying in the jack mast of one of the Royal Navy warships,other than that it should be known a the union flag .

Oldsmobile-88

Ken Clark on Peston with I suspect a nice glass of Red in front of him.He reckons that about 3 years down the line all of the current borrowing will come home to roost if interest rates rise.The country is in the phoney war financially at the moment.

Whoever wins the 2024 election will inherit a poisoned chalice.

IndoMike

Seemingly it's only the Union Jack that gets this rep. This is because the ordinary person has deserted it, normalising the flag by seeing it regularly, is only a good thing.
The Union Jack has been hijacked by the right wing and is used as a fortress wall to protect them and to insinuate that anyone who disapproves of right wing ideals is not a patriot. Trump did that. He tried to own the flag. "If you don't love me then you don't love America". Cynical.
The nation belongs to everyone of whatever political.persiadion and background. It is everyone. You don't need to flaunt the flag or try to have exclusive ownership.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Union Jack has been hijacked by the right wing and is used as a fortress wall to protect them and to insinuate that anyone who disapproves of right wing ideals is not a patriot. Trump did that. He tried to own the flag. "If you don't love me then you don't love America". Cynical.
The nation belongs to everyone of whatever political.persiadion and background. It is everyone. You don't need to flaunt the flag or try to have exclusive ownership.
Sturgeon runs the same playbook in Scotland with the Saltire. It's not an exclusive right-wing trick.