• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Odessa File (1974) Jon Voight ~ Maximilian Schell

A young German reporter on the tail of SS-Obersturmfuhrer Eduard Roschmann the "The Butcher of Riga Concentration Camp".

An enjoyable film that was somewhat spoiled by the 'Allo 'Allo! like accents of some of the actors. Would love to see a remake of this film. 7.5/10

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster

A young German reporter on the tail of SS-Obersturmfuhrer Eduard Roschmann the "The Butcher of Riga Concentration Camp".

An enjoyable film that was somewhat spoiled by the 'Allo 'Allo! like accents of some of the actors. Would love to see a remake of this film. 7.5/10
Yes a good film which I always watch if it rocks up. The rather lovely Mary Tamm (Romana from Dr Who) playing the role of Ziggy.

Not sure about a remake Stuffers

Banksy

And yet , ( and to my shame I can’t find it at the moment else would give the link) , I came across an article by John Voight a few months ago where he stated that he , Mary Tamm and other cast members had been given special coaching in the Hamburg accent to aid the film’s authencity.Super film , super book , and I’ve always been a sucker for the opening Perry Como song too.Saw it originally at the cinema and have the dvd which I pull out from time to time.(Thinks , must be about due for another watch.)

Banksy

I couldn’t find the article I was referring to , but here’s another bit about Voight’s accent in the film that I found.

‘ OK, before I go on I feel I need to explain my issue with that, as in many ways it's not an issue at all. Indeed, although I'm not German by birth or even remotely competent at the language, I was immediately struck by the seeming authenticity of Jon Voight's accent, the apparent result of considerable work and study on his part. It's a glum fact that the German accent is too often overplayed to the point of parody in British and American films, and one thing that always struck me when conversing with German friends and associates was that they spoke English well and often with an accent that whilst clearly detectable but rarely pronounced, and Voight absolutely nails that ‘

iscalad

Life of Brian on YouTube

Still hilarious after all these years.
Blessed be the cheesemongers.

Reactions: DB9

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
And yet , ( and to my shame I can’t find it at the moment else would give the link) , I came across an article by John Voight a few months ago where he stated that he , Mary Tamm and other cast members had been given special coaching in the Hamburg accent to aid the film’s authencity.Super film , super book , and I’ve always been a sucker for the opening Perry Como song too.Saw it originally at the cinema and have the dvd which I pull out from time to time.(Thinks , must be about due for another watch.)
I hear what you say Mr B and don't doubt for one minute your remarks concerning Hamburg accents - a city I drove army AEC's ten tonners through in the 60's. However, I did say 'some' actors by which I meant those British actors in minor roles.

It was indeed a super book (y)

Banksy

Point taken Stuffy !

Rosencrantz

Being Frank - The Chris Sievey Story. A documentary film that was on Sky Documentaries about the man behind Frank Sidebottom who I can remember being on TV back along. Really fascinating character, or two as it turns out!

Mr Jinx

Just finished watching the BBC Storyville 4 parter on the rise and fall of Oscar Pistorius.

I'll try not to give away any spoliers, but there were quite a few enlightening things in it I previously hadn't known. Well worth watching if you like your true crime.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
John Wick. (2014) Keanu Reeves ~ Michael Nyqvist ~ Alfie Allen

Wick (Reeves) is a retired hitman who is still in mourning for his wife when he falls foul of the son of a Russian mobster who breaks into his house to steal his classic Mustang car. In the resulting scuffle, Wick gets beaten-about before they make off after killing his dog. The mobster, fearing for his son's life, hires a legion of hitmen..... 8.5/10