• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

dontpassback

Echo the sentiments about ray clemence,schoolboy heroes along with the likes of nobby stiles,Norman hunter etc I know they won’t live forever but it’s very sad when they pass away,RIP mr Clemence

haka

It's a very sad day for English football. Ray was brilliant for England, Liverpool and Spurs, a bit like RedPaul I always preferred him in goal for England rather than Shilts. At that time I wasn't really old enough to know who was better, I just liked Ray more. He was revered by Liverpool fans. I just heard Mark Lawrenson tell of the last game of Ray's first season with Spurs when fate would have it it was at Anfield with Liverpool needing to win to win the League and the reception he received from The Kop when he was defending that end made hairs on Lawro's neck stand. I remember watching it on MtoD or Big Match, whichever it was on, and it made such an impression me at that time as I'd never seen anything like it before.
I don't know if it was this same game, but here's the reception from the Kop for Clemence:

"England's number one"

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't know if it was this same game, but here's the reception from the Kop for Clemence:

"England's number one"
That's the one. I was only seven or eight when that happened and, like I said, I'd never seen a reception for an opposing player like it before.

PeteUSA

IMHO Ray Clemence was the complete keeper in his time; better than Shilton, Pat Jennings, or any of the others of that era. He never had a particular weak point. RIP.

Mr Jinx

Now Ray Clemence aged only 72 has died , they seem to be coming thick and fast at the moment .
72 is no age. Richard Gere just became a dad again at 71

PeteUSA

72 is no age. Richard Gere just became a dad again at 71
I see Des O'Connor became a dad at 72, and motored on for 16 years!

Oldsmobile-88

edindevon

Eric Hall, football agent - aged 73. He got involved with the game through meeting Steve Perryman.

DB9

Eric Hall, football agent - aged 73. He got involved with the game through meeting Steve Perryman.

Monster, Monster. RIP

Oldsmobile-88

Dominic Grant(71) Lead singer of ‘70s group Guys ‘n’ Dolls.