• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Vaccine found 90% successful

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
What I don't quite get is what happens to the 50 mill who aren't vaccinated. Say the 10 million most at risk from CV are vaccinated initially - by Easter for example. Care home and medical staff, the over 75's and the otherwise most vulnerable. That might tick the box of shielding people and 'protecting the NHS', but it doesn't stop CV from being in general circulation.

Is it left to rip through on the basis the effects are milder for everyone else and the NHS can cope with those that it isn't or are we still severely hampered?
The top priority is to reduce the deaths and the quickest way of doing that is give it to those most likely to die of it first, i.e. the old and vulnerable.

Once you've got everyone vulnerable and over 70 covered, then you work your way down. 60-70 yr olds, then 50-60 yr olds etc, etc.

I guess once you've got to most people over 50 covered then it doesn't really matter how much it's left to rip across the rest.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fine, but that's going to take a lot longer than 3 months - even IF the vaccine works/can be rolled out on this scale.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Most things have plenty of fook ups along the way, I'm amazed by the way some people seem to think we will back to some kind of normal in a few months, even apparent medical experts.

Time will tell, I hope it's a smooth ride and things go well however I'm not as confident as many seem to be.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Appears we're still some way off developing a vaccine against stupidity.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. And what will happen in England on Dec 3rd. Which is why we shouldnt have closed shops.

Alistair20000

Indeed. And what will happen in England on Dec 3rd. Which is why we shouldnt have closed shops.
Unless the ban on opening of the currently closed premises and continues.

Alistair20000

I found Hancock’s Half Hours words today rather sickly. The bit about “to inject hope into the arms of millions this winter” :sick:

Average Joe

Ok, so being genuine for probably the first time in my life and not positing as Paul Tisdale :) , I am actually not going to have the vaccine. The reason being is not because I'm part of the anti vax army nor is it because I don't believe that Covid is real, It's real alright and I am not one to believe in conspiracy's. The reason is because I do not fit the category where Covid is likely to be life threatening. I'm lucky in the sense that I am in good health. The vaccine needs to needs to be carefully thought about and not used as some statistic to show the public that the government are doing everything they can. I worry the government will push it towards as many people as possible

Grecian2K

I found Hancock’s Half Hours words today rather sickly. The bit about “to inject hope into the arms of millions this winter” :sick:
Are you sure that it was "arms" that he said?

STURTZ

Ok, so being genuine for probably the first time in my life and not positing as Paul Tisdale :) , I am actually not going to have the vaccine. The reason being is not because I'm part of the anti vax army nor is it because I don't believe that Covid is real, It's real alright and I am not one to believe in conspiracy's. The reason is because I do not fit the category where Covid is likely to be life threatening. I'm lucky in the sense that I am in good health. The vaccine needs to needs to be carefully thought about and not used as some statistic to show the public that the government are doing everything they can. I worry the government will push it towards as many people as possible
I am thinking in a similar vein (!) and would be very cautious about introducing something into my body which hasn't been proven. I've never had a flu jab and yet never had flu colours my thoughts and questions such as supposing the virus has mutated and the vaccine has lost it's already limited effectiveness (90%? What use is that to the other 10%?) would be of interest. Already seen facebook postings linking the largely new vaccine with terrible consequences, something that is bound to arise given the nature of social media. Wonder whether this vaccine will be compulsary?