• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Vaccine found 90% successful

IBA

I think the scientist was referring to the Covid situation being 'normal' rather than wider society, Mental Health , City's away form etc . Anyway I will shut up, as I am finding myself turning in to Ant Moxey !!

older-codger

Bet I'll be one of the 10% that doesn't work :sick:

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is it being tested on mink as well?
(I'll get my coat)

Red Devon

At last some good news 👍👍

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Doesn't a vaccine need the herd immunity thing to be effective. I'm sure on another thread we discussed about what percentage of the population needs to be vaccinated before it becomes fully effective.

Mr Jinx

Doesn't a vaccine need the herd immunity thing to be effective.
I think it's the other way around. Yes, Herd Immunity needs to be effective but a working vaccine should play a big part of that.

With things like measles, the vaccine needs to cover above 95%. With something like flu with its all its complexity and mutations, getting above 90% has never been achievable, nowhere even close to that.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think it's the other way around. Yes, Herd Immunity needs to be effective but a working vaccine should play a big part of that.

With things like measles, the vaccine needs to cover above 95%. With something like flu with its all its complexity and mutations, getting above 90% has never been achievable, nowhere even close to that.
Anti-vaxxers are going to cause so many problems in making this vaccine roll-out successful.

Mr Jinx

Anti-vaxxers are going to cause so many problems in making this vaccine roll-out successful.
Well yes, you have those that won't taking any vaccines come what may. But that's still a small percentage.

What you have to factor in here is this vaccine has been rushed out like never before. There'll be even more, not necessarily anti-vaxxers by true definition, of those unwilling to inject themselves with something that is quite an unknown. Given the young usually only get mild symptoms, I'm sure a lot of them will probably think that catching CV is actually probably less risky.

I probably fall more into the latter category. I'm not against taking a vaccine per se, but certainly won't be taking one until Sept next year at the earliest. What might force my hand would be something like my employer insisting that I take one, or something like ECFC saying you can't buy tickets for a game unless you show us your jab certification. I'm not going to take one just because the Government says I should, greater good or not.

It'll be an interesting time.

Last edited:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
What I don't quite get is what happens to the 50 mill who aren't vaccinated. Say the 10 million most at risk from CV are vaccinated initially - by Easter for example. Care home and medical staff, the over 75's and the otherwise most vulnerable. That might tick the box of shielding people and 'protecting the NHS', but it doesn't stop CV from being in general circulation.

Is it left to rip through on the basis the effects are milder for everyone else and the NHS can cope with those that it isn't or are we still severely hampered?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
What I don't quite get is what happens to the 50 mill who aren't vaccinated. Say the 10 million most at risk from CV are vaccinated initially - by Easter for example. Care home and medical staff, the over 75's and the otherwise most vulnerable. That might tick the box of shielding people and 'protecting the NHS', but it doesn't stop CV from being in general circulation.

Is it left to rip through on the basis the effects are milder for everyone else and the NHS can cope with those that it isn't or are we still severely hampered?
I had that thought in the back of my mind. It's going to take a very long time to eradicate it.

For many of us, we still don't know if we catch it whether it will get us bad or not.