• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
You sense the Anti-Trump sentiment is stronger than Pro-Biden, that's what it could boil down to in this election.
Not really. The Anti-Trump sentiment has been there from day 1. Can't say it's much stronger today than it was 4 years ago.

What I'm saying is the Pro-Biden sentiment is not much stronger than the Pro-Hilary sentiment. OK, he's got the nice guy thing going on, especially when compared to the booeyman that is Trump, but is that good enough to override the old senile great uncle image? It's all about GTVO - getting the vote out. Will voters be queuing round the block for a fusty old white guy? I guess we'll soon find out.

Obama's polling might not have been much more than Romney's, but again Obama was the one that enthused over a rather pallid Romney. The same happened in 2008 but to a larger degree.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not really. The Anti-Trump sentiment has been there from day 1. Can't say it's much stronger today than it was 4 years ago.
The difference is that some who didn't vote or went third party last time because they expected Hillary to win easily may now opt for Biden to prevent a second Trump term.

Mr Jinx

The difference is that some who didn't vote or went third party last time because they expected Hillary to win easily may now opt for Biden to prevent a second Trump term.
People were thinking that around the EU Referendum in 2016 with regards to having a second one. i.e. Now people know what's at stake, those that didn't bother to vote last time thinking Remain would easily win, would now come out of the woodwork to save its bacon. As we saw with the unofficial second Ref (i.e. the GE 2019), that was far from the case. It was almost as if the Leave cause got emboldened. Those that couldn't be that arsed the first time round, probably won't be that arsed the second time.

Oldsmobile-88

Dangerous times coming up in the USA whatever the result.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
People were thinking that around the EU Referendum in 2016 with regards to having a second one. i.e. Now people know what's at stake, those that didn't bother to vote last time thinking Remain would easily win, would now come out of the woodwork to save its bacon. As we saw with the unofficial second Ref (i.e. the GE 2019), that was far from the case. It was almost as if the Leave cause got emboldened. Those that couldn't be that arsed the first time round, probably won't be that arsed the second time.
That's not strictly true. Parties promising remain or a 2nd ref got more votes than those advocating leave. Regardless, a GE is very different from a referendum and there are many many more factors at play than a binary choice.

Mr Jinx

Dangerous times coming up in the USA whatever the result.
Agree. Just like the UK, the cracks that began appearing 5 years ago and now beginning to look like gaping chasms.

Remain v Leave
Black v White
Scotland v England
Lockdown v Anti Lockdown
Woke v Anti Woke

As Steve Bannon was saying some 3 years ago and ever since: The US is heading for civil war. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some time in the next ten years. It's all going to explode.

angelic upstart

Agree. Just like the UK, the cracks that began appearing 5 years ago and now beginning to look like gaping chasms.

Remain v Leave
Black v White
Scotland v England
Lockdown v Anti Lockdown
Woke v Anti Woke

As Steve Bannon was saying some 3 years ago and ever since: The US is heading for civil war. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some time in the next ten years. It's all going to explode.
No, you're miles off the mark re the UK.

Incidentally, what does woke actually mean? I hear lots about it, but don't actually have the faintest idea what it means.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, you're miles off the mark re the UK.

Incidentally, what does woke actually mean? I hear lots about it, but don't actually have the faintest idea what it means.
I feel like a lot of that list are manufactured divisions. Brexit being the obvious exception.

angelic upstart

Agreed, most likely by Steve Bannon

Mr Jinx

Latest estimates coming out are Biden to win the popular vote by 6 million, but Trump to win the Electoral college by a whisker with 278 EVs. Dems keep the house, Republicans the Senate.

If that happens, there will be unrest.