• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
You see, this is exactly what I mean about the politics of negatively in this country.

Instead of saying "we recognise there is a problem, we don't believe this is the right approach, but these are the exact steps we're taking to deal with it", Conservative politicians are taking to public fora to points score against someone who has experienced it and is trying to do something about it. And then their toenailers pile on and question the motives of someone who is just wants to feed starving children, whilst commiting the sin of being wealthy. Nevermind that virtually every millionaire in Parliament does sweet f all for poor people. Nevermind that Rashford has several times contributed his own money to the campaign.

No, the big sin here is for daring to suggest that parliament might want to help out the absolute poorest in society.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not actually the case.
Votes cast in the last 7 USA elections.
6 out of 7 - more votes cast for the Democrats.

Democrat , Republican
1992 44,909,889 39,104,550
1996 47,401,185 39,197,469
2000 50,999,897 50,456,002
2004 62,040,610 59,028,444
2008 69,498,516 59,948,323
2012 65,915,795 60,933,504
2016 65,853,514 62,984,828
Given the numbers of early voters, they're reckoning there'll be 150 million voters this time round.

If it does turn out to be anywhere that amount, it's bad news for Trump.

DB9

Given the numbers of early voters, they're reckoning there'll be 150 million voters this time round.

If it does turn out to be anywhere that amount, it's bad news for Trump.
At least the latest head to head debate was a bit more like two people vying to be POTUS.

Mr Jinx

At least the latest head to head debate was a bit more like two people vying to be POTUS.
Yep, Trump obviously took heed from focus groups over the first one.

Watching an interesting 3 part Doco on Trump on BBC iplayer at the moment.

Biggest mistake he ever made was getting rid of Bannon. Not sure if he felt forced to; maybe he did after Charlottesville. If Trump doesn't get re-elected next week, it'll be mainly because Bannon's not been there by his side advising, imho.

Rosencrantz

Shows the state of things over there that the big takeaway from the debate is that one didn't appear to be a senile old goat and the other a complete ****.

tavyred

You see, this is exactly what I mean about the politics of negatively in this country.

Instead of saying "we recognise there is a problem, we don't believe this is the right approach, but these are the exact steps we're taking to deal with it", Conservative politicians are taking to public fora to points score against someone who has experienced it and is trying to do something about it. And then their toenailers pile on and question the motives of someone who is just wants to feed starving children, whilst commiting the sin of being wealthy. Nevermind that virtually every millionaire in Parliament does sweet f all for poor people. Nevermind that Rashford has several times contributed his own money to the campaign.

No, the big sin here is for daring to suggest that parliament might want to help out the absolute poorest in society.
If footballers are going step into the political bear pit, they’re going to have to expect the political class to bite back. For every Tory toenailer defending the Government there’s a Tory hating leftist hanging on the shirt tails of Rashford and attempting to damage the Government.
I hope Rashford has no skeletons in his cupboard because as sure as eggs are eggs the Government’s friends in the press will be searching desperately to dish the dirt on him.

DB9

Shows the state of things over there that the big takeaway from the debate is that one didn't appear to be a senile old goat and the other a complete ****.
I'd love to think in four years time the American people will try to demand candidates that are at least not with one foot in the grave, Who ever wins will only serve one term, One because he has to stand down and the other he'll be in his 80's!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
If footballers are going step into the political bear pit, they’re going to have to expect the political class to bite back. For every Tory toenailer defending the Government there’s a Tory hating leftist hanging on the shirt tails of Rashford and attempting to damage the Government.
I hope Rashford has no skeletons in his cupboard because as sure as eggs are eggs the Government’s friends in the press will be searching desperately to dish the dirt on him.
Why should they bite back? I can't believe this has to be said, but they're making petty snipes over feeding starving children. Rashford isn't "stepping into politics", he's trying to feed starving children.

But thank you for reinforcing my point about how British politics is founded on negativity.

angelic upstart

You do realise an internship isn’t full time, paid, employment?

That said, 20/25% of under 30s in the uk aren’t white. 15% of bbc employees aren’t white. They are merely trying to be fair to the population as a whole. Sadly, those over 40 are largely being forgotten as there’s little money in the over 35 demographic. Problem is only over 40s watch tv like the bbc. My suspicion is they’re aware of the upcoming end of the license fee and working their way in with the yoot accordingly.