• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FA Cup 2020/21

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whoever 'drew' Macclesfield was given a bye

There will be 32 Non league sides in R1 to add to the 48 L1 and L2 sides to give 80 teams in R1 (40 ties)
resulting chaos at Kidderminster. They had been due to play Chorley in the league next week but Chorley got through to the 4 QR instead. With Kiddy's game this weekend against Alfreton off due to a positive covid test amongst their opponents and

fearing a second successive blank weekend due to Chorley's FACup game, Kiddy brought forward a league game against Curzon Ashton, who were also facing a blank weekend - Curzon Ashton in the same position of game off due to scheduled league opponents getting through to the FACup fourth qualifying round.

Excellent work. Except then Chorley got given a bye. The league then insisted that as Chorley were now free on 4QR day that game had to go ahead. So the Curzon Ashton rearrangement had to be ...erm...rearranged.

In the case of a week Kiddy went from being due to play Chorley, then Curtzon Ashton, then Chorley again....

FA Cup prize money gas been cut substantially this year. First round winners to get £22k (reduced from £36k last season), second round winners down to £34k (from £54k).
Looks like another financial blow for lower leagues.

i8cornwall

That'll be behind closed doors. No crowds allowed into National League grounds.
it’s a stupid Rule to be honest.

Taunton have drawn a National South side Tonbridge Angels away in the next round meaning the game has to be played with no fans

Tonbridge average attendance “last season“ was 607

Taunton was 603

Oldsmobile-88

FA Cup prize money gas been cut substantially this year. First round winners to get £22k (reduced from £36k last season), second round winners down to £34k (from £54k).
I’m pretty sure those cuts in prize money also filtered down to the qualifying rounds too.

I’m pretty sure those cuts in prize money also filtered down to the qualifying rounds too.
Yes, no doubt. Don't know why the FA couldn't leave prize money in prelim and rounds 1 and 2 as it was and make bigger cuts in later rounds.

Colesman Ballz

Yes, no doubt. Don't know why the FA couldn't leave prize money in prelim and rounds 1 and 2 as it was and make bigger cuts in later rounds.
Probably because the FA wouldn't want to upset the PL clubs who will no doubt feature quite heavily in those stages ! :mad:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
it’s a stupid Rule to be honest.

Taunton have drawn a National South side Tonbridge Angels away in the next round meaning the game has to be played with no fans

Tonbridge average attendance “last season“ was 607

Taunton was 603
To be fair to the FA (which isn't a sentence I often write), it's the Gov rules that no crowds are allowed at 'elite football' that is the nonsense. And NLS and NLN is counted as elite.

The FA should though be fighting harder for a nuanced approach based on stadium size rather than a blanket ban

i8cornwall

To be fair to the FA (which isn't a sentence I often write), it's the Gov rules that no crowds are allowed at 'elite football' that is the nonsense. And NLS and NLN is counted as elite.

The FA should though be fighting harder for a nuanced approach based on stadium size rather than a blanket ban
fully agree, wasn’t a dig at the FA as such. They can only be guided by the governments guidelines.

still highlights how stupid the rules are at times, be interesting to see what happens come the first round proper.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
fully agree, wasn’t a dig at the FA as such. They can only be guided by the governments guidelines.

still highlights how stupid the rules are at times, be interesting to see what happens come the first round proper.
Loads of stupid rules about at the moment. The football crowd one being merely one of them.

Apparently yesterrday, 400 fans were allowed in to Middlesbrough. But they couldn't watch the game from the seats, they had to sit in the hospitality rooms and watch on a big screen with the blinds down. Mind boggling.

denzel

They snuck that one in. But let me guess, the winners still get the same.