• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager interviews

Red Bill

One thing I think Matt Taylor is universally respected for by the fanbase has been his honesty in interviews, when he talks about a match it usually reflects what I've seen myself. Certainly a refreshing change compared to the last incumbent!

However although I'm sure he isn't the only manager who does this, but one thing that does annoy me is the pre-match comments about what a tough test it will be and what a good side the opposition are. Now sometimes that will be true but these comments seem to be made every game, regardless of the opposition. It comes across to me as making excuses before a ball is kicked and I personally find it negative and disheartening.
Now we all know that in football, sometimes the best teams can lose to the very worst teams, its part of what we love about football, but generally I would rather see us being bullish about our chances ahead of a game. This may of course be an attempt at some kind of reverse psychology but i find it is also provides the players with an excuse and is a rather clumsy way of managing supporters expectation and also plays into the 'lil ol us' image.

Its not just MT and I've heard similar from other managers, but as a fan, its not what I want to hear. I want to hear things like 'we're confident, we can beat this side', or 'if we get it right and play our game we will win this, we've got a great team', not 'they've got really good players and they've spent big this year so we're the underdogs'.
Maybe its just my general desire for optimism and I'm on my own here, but I'd be really interested to her what others' take on this is.

'So, Matt, before the game, you said Walsall were an absolute bunch of cloggers and a team so bad, they weren't fit to be called professional. How do you respond to this defeat?'

Standard mind games. Why say the opposition is bad if all it does is motivate them to beat you?

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt might be going through the motions when he says other clubs are good teams but he always needs to guard against complacency and we have lost to many "bottom" clubs in recent history. "Anybody can beat anybody in this league" is a cliche which actually rings true.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't pay much attention to manager interviews, except for news on injuries etc. And even then we are often misled.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why don't they ask him some different questions?

Same questions get the same answers

Red Bill

To be honest though: "So what are your thoughts ahead of the game Matt" the s a fairly reasonable question IMO. I suppose a more direct " are we going to win Matt?" could perhaps put him more on the spot.

Red Bill

'So, Matt, before the game, you said Walsall were an absolute bunch of cloggers and a team so bad, they weren't fit to be called professional. How do you respond to this defeat?'

Standard mind games. Why say the opposition is bad if all it does is motivate them to beat you?
I think my point is I expect them to be motivated to beat us anyway, if they're not they're cheating their fans and their employers. This is about confidence in our ability not the oppositions lack of it. And do oppositions really listen to this bog standard stuff? I don't know really.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
A pre match interview is something managers have to go through but do not particularly want in my opinion. They do not want to give away their line up, tactics or injury updates. They certainly do not want to come out with a brash statement which the opposition are going to print off and pin onto their changing room wall. So the interview will be bland giving nothing away.

I don't think it will ever change unless a new Brian Clough emerges.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Or get someone else to ask the questions occasionally. Much as I used to like Simon Larkins it must have been difficult to think of different ways to ask the same questions week after week. I really like Craig so far but I’m sure the freshness will eventually wear off.

Red Bill

Matt might be going through the motions when he says other clubs are good teams but he always needs to guard against complacency and we have lost to many "bottom" clubs in recent history. "Anybody can beat anybody in this league" is a cliche which actually rings true.
You may be right Sturtz, but there is an argument that could claim that far from combating complacency it could actually breed it, in that our players then have the mindset that 'well the manager said they're a good team, there's no shame in losing to this lot'.