• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

tonykellowfan

Don't forget that Ampadu is 4 years younger than Watkins.

There is plenty of time for him to get to the top level.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nice to see our skipper [@jaketaylor25] reminiscing over on Twitter:
Seen that ‘falling over’ finish from Watkins somewhere before I think
👀
🙌🏻

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
My dad, a Villa season ticket holder, died on the way home from a Villa game 3 years ago. I wish he could have lived to see that performance last night and to see Ollie helping the team thrive at the top level where they belong.

So, so proud of Ollie, our academy, our club, on a weekend when the next wave of academy graduates did us proud against Cambridge.

And today is my 60th birthday. Everyone connected to this very special club has contributed to making a sentimental old man very happy. Thank you. CTID.
Nice post, FG. Glad you've had a happy day.

BTW, 60 is not old.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Today's Guardian ( also pasted into thread on premiershite non bailout)

2) Watkins shows value of EFL in Premier League

As Premier League clubs complain that it is not their job to bail out those lower down the pyramid as many struggle to survive the pandemic, Ollie Watkins showed what is being produced by clubs outside the elite. The striker began his career at Exeter City - and even had a spell on loan at Weston-super-mare - but is now reaping the rewards of the hard work it has required to reach the top. Liverpool found out to their cost the abilities of the 24-year-old, first as he pounced upon a mistake and then added to it with two more clinical finishes. Previously, Aston Villa have targeted players with impressive scoring records in Belgium, signing both Mbwana Samatta and Wesley from the Jupiler League, to underwhelming effect. Many fear players from the Football League do not offer value for money but the early signs from Watkins will dispel that myth. The EFL is worth every penny. Will Unwin

• Match report: Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool
If the lower leagues were funded properly in the first place (EPPP) there wouldn't be a need to go cap in hand.

Coppers

They only need to look to Ethan and what i think were a wasted couple of years to see getting into a 1st for a good period, Even at a lower level than us works out in the long run rather than sign for a big club at a young age just to end up being a bench warmer, Ok you get a decent wedge but to sit there and be the lad to be known as a "Sub" all the time must be really frustrating. Ollie, Again well done young man!
The problem is, the money on offer for a player is huge moving to Chelsea, the contract alone makes them a multi millionaire, who would turn that down and risk career ending injury, I am sure Watkins would have moved to the prem at 16 if the interest had been there, who would turn down 20k per week instead of 150 as an apprentice at City. I know it is short sighted but your only a bad injury away from losing out. The system should change not allowing premiership clubs to pay them so much money at a young age.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The problem is, the money on offer for a player is huge moving to Chelsea, the contract alone makes them a multi millionaire, who would turn that down and risk career ending injury, I am sure Watkins would have moved to the prem at 16 if the interest had been there, who would turn down 20k per week instead of 150 as an apprentice at City. I know it is short sighted but your only a bad injury away from losing out. The system should change not allowing premiership clubs to pay them so much money at a young age.
I'd probably agree and would be turned by the amounts of money on offer, I just personally think staying and playing first team football is better than bench warming, Alas though with regard to your last bit, You can't not pay someone a decent wedge just because of age but funnily enough you can pay someone who's 18 less than what another person earns if they're older if its the min wage we're talking about! Life is not fair but we all know that.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great article about Olly and his journey, presumably that will be in tomorrow's Times.

cambmike

and claim from Tiz -
The advice that changed Ollie Watkins career

fred binneys head

I really enjoyed watching that. Wise words from Tis.

STURTZ

I think he's lost his marbles.