• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2020/21 Season

Dannyred

Do you know when? Because its not on the WSL website. My opinion of this is that its the worst possible thing, Womens football needs to be on free to air TV to get the widest possible audience, Why the BBC showed PL games they had the biggest audiences ever seen, On Sky they won't get the exposure they need this early in their development. Also no good saying a highlights show will be on free to air TV when they normally are shown in the dead of night.
I totally agree it’s an awful decision at this stage but money talks over common sense.

The BBC would of been ideal choice to grow the game. They have some of the biggest stars in Women’s football in the WSL now but need the general public to see it not just the selected few.

I know that the deal is for next season WSL and they were close to agreeing and announcing it this week.

Tonight BBC4 Women’s FA Cup Semi Final at 7pm

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I totally agree it’s an awful decision at this stage but money talks over common sense.

The BBC would of been ideal choice to grow the game. They have some of the biggest stars in Women’s football in the WSL now but need the general public to see it not just the selected few.

I know that the deal is for next season WSL and they were close to agreeing and announcing it this week.

Tonight BBC4 Women’s FA Cup Semi Final at 7pm
The mens game was totally established for over 100 years when Sky took over the broadcasting rights in 92, It has grown because of the amount of money thrown at it, If you look at audience figures they are tiny compared to when football is shown on BBC/ITV/C4/C5 but money talks, The womens game is not as well established and could end up being a "Phase" like the NASL of the 70's, I have no idea of who the players and managers are, Where they play and i won't be watching it on Sky or BT. If they were on free to air TV at decent times then it would be more exposure and i cant ever see the day when a pub is packed to watch a womans game.

As for money dripping down to ECFC Ladies level , I doubt that very much because these players coming from overseas to play in the WSL will need paying and paying well, Sky won't be giving out a multi-billion pound deal for the WSL, It'll be enough for them but not the grassroots i fear.

Dannyred

The mens game was totally established for over 100 years when Sky took over the broadcasting rights in 92, It has grown because of the amount of money thrown at it, If you look at audience figures they are tiny compared to when football is shown on BBC/ITV/C4/C5 but money talks, The womens game is not as well established and could end up being a "Phase" like the NASL of the 70's, I have no idea of who the players and managers are, Where they play and i won't be watching it on Sky or BT. If they were on free to air TV at decent times then it would be more exposure and i cant ever see the day when a pub is packed to watch a womans game.

As for money dripping down to ECFC Ladies level , I doubt that very much because these players coming from overseas to play in the WSL will need paying and paying well, Sky won't be giving out a multi-billion pound deal for the WSL, It'll be enough for them but not the grassroots i fear.
Yes I agree.

As I said there is a women’s game on BBC4 tonight But a Massive game tomorrow on BBC2 Manchester City v Arsenal at 7pm

It would be good if the Sky money went down to the league that Exeter are in and below.

Rosencrantz

The key thing about being established was supporters in the grounds. Men's football already had enough money coming in through the gates to support the game to a high level. Monetising the TV rights more effectively only expanded the buying power (for good and bad, that's another argument). As you say, the women's game is still taking it's first steps and nowhere near fulfilling a large, self supporting level of attendance in normal league games. One off promotional games with special offers on tickets and giveaways are still being used to try to expand attendances. But the average WSL attendances are generally conference level with ticket prices half the price of conference clubs.

Sky have supported women's cricket, showing live games but they do not seem to have had much effect on supporters through the turnstiles. They might have a higher profile, particularly at England level, and with the extra TV money are being able to grow the game maybe in quality and participation but are now very dependant on TV money for sustainability. Of course Men's football and cricket is as well to the current level of spending, but part of the attraction as we have seen recently is the full stadiums and atmosphere. Sky didn't create that, it was already there. With the women's games, it is not there at the moment, and without widespread coverage, could well stagnate or hit a lower ceiling even though more money brings in higher quality and profile players. It is a bit of a risk.

Reactions: DB9

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Match report from the Poole game

Match preview

Colesman Ballz

Match preview
Good to get back on subject Hants. It is getting rather tedious that a certain person has to deliberately misuse this thread for his propaganda, rather than confining it elsewhere in defiance of your and Rea's attempts.

Spoonz Red E

... i cant ever see the day when a pub is packed to watch a womans game.
Never say never ;)

"The FA’s ban on women’s football began in 1921 – a kneejerk reaction to its popularity."

"Although spectators may have originally turned up to delight in the undignified spectacle, reports from the time suggest they found themselves enthralled by the quality of play."

"The FA lost patience with the women after Dick, Kerr’s and St Helens brought 53,000 fans through the Goodison Park turnstiles on Boxing Day 1920, believed at the time to be the largest gate at any football match in England since records began."

Spoonz Red E

I'm impressed by the steady progress the women's team are making year on year.
Early days but so far it's looking like both the first team and the development team are coming on nicely.

DB9

Never say never ;)

"The FA’s ban on women’s football began in 1921 – a kneejerk reaction to its popularity."

"Although spectators may have originally turned up to delight in the undignified spectacle, reports from the time suggest they found themselves enthralled by the quality of play."

"The FA lost patience with the women after Dick, Kerr’s and St Helens brought 53,000 fans through the Goodison Park turnstiles on Boxing Day 1920, believed at the time to be the largest gate at any football match in England since records began."

When I wrote that I did think of those games, They are well documented and have been shown on TV when the women's game has been discussed. Amazing that the crowds were that big, Then the old boys of the FA decided to ban them probably on the basis they were "Too delicate" to play the game. As for today's game they are starting from scratch in the way of getting fans in watching.

Dannyred

Good to get back on subject Hants. It is getting rather tedious that a certain person has to deliberately misuse this thread for his propaganda, rather than confining it elsewhere in defiance of your and Rea's attempts.
Show me Where in your post above that you mentioned anything to do with the Exeter City Women’s team ?

You have No interest in Women’s football so you are only on this thread for personal attack.

Again read your Own post 😂