• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Like RP, I get the feeling a deal will be done in some form. The stakes are too high for this government to go without one despite the rhetoric of the "Australian" no deal.

Like the WA, it will be waved about amongst a lot of chest beating about how everyone doubted it could be done. And then we will see the battle to start unpicking it, much like the WA.

IndoMike

Why? If Brexit is going to be the disaster you forecast, why not be in favour of mitigating it and by definition stay closer to Europe, by hving a deal rather than make it even worse by not having a deal?

I don't get your logic, unless your desire to be able to rant against the Gov is stronger than your desire for what is better for the country.

There are those that argue no deal is better for the country in the long run, but I didn't have you down as one of them. Maybe my misreading.
You too coming out with that "Cr*p" about "Oooh you don't love your country"...If Dumb and Dumber came out with that I could understand, but I had a higher opinion of your posts.
Quite frankly, if you and Ali don't have sufficient perception to read the real message in my post it's not my problem.

Last edited:

tavyred

Why? If Brexit is going to be the disaster you forecast, why not be in favour of mitigating it and by definition stay closer to Europe, by hving a deal rather than make it even worse by not having a deal?

I don't get your logic, unless your desire to be able to rant against the Gov is stronger than your desire for what is better for the country.

There are those that argue no deal is better for the country in the long run, but I didn't have you down as one of them. Maybe my misreading.
Its called having no skin in the game RP. Also like a lot of ex-pats they do seem to spend an inordinate amount of their time searching for any sort of affirmation as to why they made the choice they did, in Indo’s case a decision he made to leave the UK in the Thatcher era.
I wouldn’t expect too much logic from a chap who constantly obsesses about the UK descending into some sort of authoritarian far right dystopian nightmare, yet glibly explains away the Indonesian police targeting gay people in Jakarta as the growing pains of a young post colonial democracy. 🙄

Alistair20000

Thank you RP. What you set out explains why I described Mike’s post as “disappointing”

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
You too coming out with that "Cr*p" about "Oooh you don't love your country"...If Dumb and Dumber came out with that I could understand, but I had a higher opinion of your posts.
Quite frankly, if you and Ali don't have sufficient perception to read the real message in my post it's not my problem.
I'm just asking, not sure why the personal attack is warranted. Apologies for not having the perception to read into your inner mind.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
In other news Laurence Fox is launching a new political party, Apparently it's a sort of "Ukip for culture" Can't see it doing much, Maybe more of a protest party?
Yes the "I had my career handed to me on a plate by my family, but I still managed to mess it up, therefore white privilege doesn't exist" protest party

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes the "I had my career handed to me on a plate by my family, but I still managed to mess it up, therefore white privilege doesn't exist" protest party
Niche I grant you.

We could do with a party that stood for

- Personal responsibility
- The rule of law
- Friendship
- Internationalism
- Mutual cooperation and respect
- Non-tribalism
- Acceptance of the past
- Acceptance of the differences between us as individuals and peoples
- Competence
- Integrity
- Telling the truth, even if the truth is painful
- Hand up not hand-me-down

Maybe one day

Rosencrantz

Niche I grant you.

- The rule of law
- Friendship
- Internationalism
- Non-tribalism
- Acceptance of the past
- Competence
- Integrity
- Telling the truth, even if the truth is painful
- Hand up not hand-me-down

Maybe one day
I would say understanding rather than acceptance or maybe in addition. Acceptance sounds a bit like "well just deal with it" whilst understanding would help towards your mutual respect.

Alistair20000

Niche I grant you.

- The rule of law
- Friendship
- Internationalism
- Non-tribalism
- Acceptance of the past