• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
'Cobbled together' ? How do you 'cobble together' a rules-based international trade deal ? The UK is leaving, it has not been pushed - the EU will not compromise on the integrity of its market of 27 nations, including Ireland. the US will not compromise on the integrity of the GFA. The only compromise will have to come from this Vote Leave government, and then you have to ask yourself...was it all worth it ? I know the answer.
Small correction elgy, The UK has left.

IndoMike

'Cobbled together' ? How do you 'cobble together' a rules-based international trade deal ? The UK is leaving, it has not been pushed - the EU will not compromise on the integrity of its market of 27 nations, including Ireland. The US will not compromise on the integrity of the GFA. The only compromise will have to come from this Vote Leave government, and then you have to ask yourself...was it all worth it ? I know the answer.
It's all.oven- ready, Elgy. The trade deals, the ports (new border in Kent : do you need to show a passport 😅), The Tories have sorted it all out.

elginCity

Small correction elgy, The UK has left.
Technically, of course, but we are still enjoying all the benefits (and cost) of membership until the end of the year.

elginCity

It's all.oven- ready, Elgy. The trade deals, the ports (new border in Kent : do you need to show a passport 😅), The Tories have sorted it all out.
The MSM emphasis on lorry parks, borders in Kent, 7,000 vehicle tailbacks etc. all the short term pain is totally missing the bigger picture. 375,000 UK firms currently trading within the EU become less competitive overnight, with a deal, a cobbled together deal or no deal their costs rise. (exception EFTA of course :) ) Going forward, anyone in Europe, say, buying widgets from Leeds, will start looking at suppliers closer to Lyons when the price goes up.

DB9

Technically, of course, but we are still enjoying all the benefits (and cost) of membership until the end of the year.
Oh Gord, Please don't say that, IDS and Co will be shocked, They'll be up in arms.

IndoMike

The Brexiters are clutching at straws. They're very worried, and they have a right to be. If there is no deal there are gonna be a helluva lot of angry people in the UK, starting with the farmers and the 20- 40%
tariffs on their exports
So is Johnson gonna cave in, thus creating the same internecine warfare in the Tory Party that he so sneakily took advantage of when May was in power, or is he gonna stick to his guns.

IndoMike

The MSM emphasis on lorry parks, borders in Kent, 7,000 vehicle tailbacks etc. all the short term pain is totally missing the bigger picture. 375,000 UK firms currently trading within the EU become less competitive overnight, with a deal, a cobbled together deal or no deal their costs rise. (exception EFTA of course :) ) Going forward, anyone in Europe, say, buying widgets from Leeds, will start looking at suppliers closer to Lyons when the price goes up.
I was just giving one example, Elgers. Not the whole bleddy sorry story. Yes, trade - wise we're gonna be isolated. Not many things that we can produce that they can't get from somewhere else within the EU.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I really hope there is a No Deal, just as Dumb and Dumber and the other staunch Brexiters want.
Why? If Brexit is going to be the disaster you forecast, why not be in favour of mitigating it and by definition stay closer to Europe, by hving a deal rather than make it even worse by not having a deal?

I don't get your logic, unless your desire to be able to rant against the Gov is stronger than your desire for what is better for the country.

There are those that argue no deal is better for the country in the long run, but I didn't have you down as one of them. Maybe my misreading.

Rosencrantz

Jason has always said that Johnson was more popular with members rather than the Parliamentary party.
Sorry DB, when I said within in the party, I meant the membership. I saw somewhere, that I can't find now, that Boris's approval rating within the membership was crashing, seventeenth was mentioned, with Dishy Rishi now occupying top spot. Not bad for someone hardly anyone knew just over a year ago.

Where the anti Boris MP's had to grin and bear it before, now the members are turning, they have the freedom to be more critical and you can see from the backbenchers that is happening.

Mr Jinx

In other news Laurence Fox is launching a new political party, Apparently it's a sort of "Ukip for culture" Can't see it doing much, Maybe more of a protest party?
UKIP never made a dent in the HOC but the influence they exerted is there for all to see, even today. They were basically the equivalent of the Tea Party in the US.

If Fox starts this party on an anti-woke platform and commands say 7% support in the polls, the Tories will sit up, take notice and then adopt a lot of their policies and messages come the GE in 2024.

Fox knows this and I think that's his goal. I don't believe for one moment he has any dreams of becoming PM.