• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The BBC

lamrobhero

Radio 4's Dead Ringers won't be the same without the Andrew Neil character catchphrase "It's Diane Abbott!"
In fact the satire on Radio 4 is well worth the licence fee. The David Davis character catchphrase (on the phone from Brussels) was "Hello PM it's Brexit Bulldog here".

Andrew Neil even had an appreciative audience amomgst the American left after an interview with Ben Shapiro who I think is a right wing commentator.
Ben Shapiro: US commentator clashes with BBC's Andrew Neil - BBC News 16:06

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Andrew Neil is so impartial the liberal left think he’s a right winger.

tavyred

The ongoing culture war just got serious.
Looks like Paul Dacre is bagging the Ofcom job and Charles Moore is getting the BBC chairman gig.
Both have espoused anti BBC sentiments in the past.
Sounds reasonable to me. 👍

Mr Jinx

The ongoing culture war just got serious.
Looks like Paul Dacre is bagging the Ofcom job and Charles Moore is getting the BBC chairman gig.
Both have espoused anti BBC sentiments in the past.
Sounds reasonable to me. 👍
Dacre as head of Ofcom!?

LMFAO!!!!

angelic upstart

Just out of interest, is it generally considered standard procedure to just ask people to take jobs like this?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Just out of interest, is it generally considered standard procedure to just ask people to take jobs like this?
There is an appointments process that is supposed to be available.

angelic upstart

What I mean is, does the PM ordinarily just appoint who they want?
My guess is they do. It always annoys me that the government and top dogs throughout business have little to no idea about what they are supposed to represent

tavyred

According to Dowden this morning, an independent panel makes a recommendation for cabinet approval.

Rosencrantz

According to Dowden this morning, an independent panel makes a recommendation for cabinet approval.
Sounds more like No 10 have already made their recommendation for the independent panel to make and it's akin to recommending King Herod to manage the Tiny Tots Nursery.

IndoMike

Then days later we understand Sue Barker has been let go against her wishes to let someone in that is of colour. That for me was the last straw.

I'm now trying to think what I last watched on the BBC that would warrant me shelling out £140 odd quid (which is a little under what I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime combined) next year to keep my license. I'll be honest, I am struggling. The last six months has been mostly repeats anyway.
Can you explain this clearly racist comment? What has the "colour" of the new presenter got to do with it? Why do you say "let someone in"?
Are you saying only a white person can get a job at the BBC?

How do you think any Exeweb posters/browsers with an ethnic background would feel about that comment?

Last edited: