• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New Ground Feasibility Study

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it is prudent to be part of the negotiations.

However, any new build is likely to be a pretty bog standard affair with characterless small stands. Think more Salford City than Brantford's new stadium.
Can't see why we wouldn't be able to match AFC Wimbledons new ground...

Pete Martin (CTID)

What’s Lincoln's current ground capacity?
Currently 10,120

Grecian Max

Can people seriously see 18000 people turning up to watch us in the championship? Argyle, with a much bigger catchment area struggled for those numbers when they were in the championship.

Also does Exeter and the surrounding area have that much hospitality business to go round considering the setup already at the chiefs.

A new soulless ground even with increased conferencing facilities isn't going to propel us into the championship, especially under our current ownership structure.
Where's 18k come from?!

12k capacity for us would be perfect imo, and would allow us to fit in and rinse the bigger followings of league 1 & potentially Championship

Pete Martin (CTID)

Where's 18k come from?!

12k capacity for us would be perfect imo, and would allow us to fit in and rinse the bigger followings of league 1 & potentially Championship
I totally agree. And with the funds, some building and engineering guile and a friendly planning authority, I believe that could be achieved.

Grecian Max

I was always against a move. I love SJP, losing the BB would be looked back upon in a similar way to the Cowshed.

However, eventually, unfortunately due to the lease, ever increasing pressure from the council to develop land... something is going to give. Better to move whilst in a strong position than running down time on a lease and have to panic share with the Chiefs.

I thought at the time that the limited scope of our "redevelopment" at SJP signalled that it was stop gap, even more so when I found out that AS stand can be dismantled and rebuilt.

Location is a massive factor, the Topsham thing seems very unlikely - (I doubt the residents would like to see football fans spilling out of those pubs, although I can see the attraction in that now I've typed it out! The Cat & Fiddle idea which I had heard as a possibility a couple of years ago... I quite like - the academy kids having the stadium right there to look on as a goal, like a mini version of what Man City and Barca have. Infrastructure would need a massive upgrade tho.

IndoMike

Sharing with the Chiefs is a no - no. Who wants City to be a junior partner with them? It wouldn't work out.

fred binneys head

Currently 10,120
So a City the same size as us has had two promotions, had some 'once in a lifetime' cup runs and nearly tripled their crowds yet their 10k ground is still big enough for them? I'll stay at SJP thanks.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I totally agree. And with the funds, some building and engineering guile and a friendly planning authority, I believe that could be achieved.
re. 12K - when this was looked at a while ago I think the total all-seated arrived at by filling in the corners, small double decker stand at the St James Road end and replacing the BB with seats was c.11.5K. Not sure any of this would be justified unless we got into the Championship and stayed there, however. The current position of 8.3K is plenty until then, IMO.

manc grecian

Where's 18k come from?!

The 18k came from Red Devon. Agree that 12k would be sufficient.

The moaning from the older generations of Topsham would be a joy to behold.

DB9

So a City the same size as us has had two promotions, had some 'once in a lifetime' cup runs and nearly tripled their crowds yet their 10k ground is still big enough for them? I'll stay at SJP thanks.
Yep, No point in moving if we can't fill the stadium we're in now, If people were missing games because demand was regularly more than capacity then yes but as for now and the forseeable future, Where i can't ever see us having to be all ticket for league games, SJP will do nicely.