• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

lamrobhero

Explain to me how England rules Scotland?
Well it is not a sovereign nation and apparently is dependent on transfer payments from England. Maybe keeping Scotland poor is a way of keeping it dependent. So although you moan about transfer payments maybe that is what you want because it gives leverage.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well it is not a sovereign nation and apparently is dependent on transfer payments from England. Maybe keeping Scotland poor is a way of keeping it dependent. So although you moan about transfer payments maybe that is what you want because it gives leverage.
England hasn't existed as a political entity since 1707, so it can send payments anywhere. The fiscal transfer to Scotland comes via the U.K. Treasury and is funded by English taxpayers.
I want the pooling and sharing of U.K.resources to fund U.K. citizens equally, not the situation we have at the moment where for political reasons some U.K. citizens are being bribed with cash to stay in our unequal union.

DB9

England hasn't existed as a political entity since 1707, so it can send payments anywhere. The fiscal transfer to Scotland comes via the U.K. Treasury and is funded by English taxpayers.
I want the pooling and sharing of U.K.resources to fund U.K. citizens equally, not the situation we have at the moment where for political reasons some U.K. citizens are being bribed with cash to stay in our unequal union.
Think you have to include NI in that too, There is a big % over there that doesn't want to remain in the UK either.

tavyred

Think you have to include NI in that too, There is a big % over there that doesn't want to remain in the UK either.
NI is very expensive and when they finally leave us, it will again save us billions. In the big scheme of things the Union is a relatively new thing, perhaps we’ll all be happier doing our own thing.

Grecian2K

Is "Boris" a joke?

A categorical NO.

Jokes are supposed to be comedic.

Johnson, and his hopeless regime, are pure tragedy. :(

Grecian2K

NI is very expensive and when they finally leave us, it will again save us billions. In the big scheme of things the Union is a relatively new thing, perhaps we’ll all be happier doing our own thing.
Mmmmm.
You weren't saying that when those billions were being smuggled across the Irish Sea to buy the support of the abominable Arlene, dodgy Dodds and the rest of the DUP rump to prop up your previous "govenrment"?

elginCity

You what ? After the Conservative and Unionist party bribed them for their support - how ungrateful !

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is unicorn stuff. Whole idea of taxation is supposedly to level up. London doesn't spend all the tax revenue it earns, Cornwall will be a net recipient. Within London, Chelsea and Westminster residents will be net contributors, Dagenham probably net recipients etc.

I have no issue with Scotland as a whole being net recipient of funds. What irks is the constant bleat from the SNP that they are victims.

As Al says, there needs to be some levelling with the Scottish people about how an Independent Scotland would be economically independent, without said transfer of funds and whether they would create their own currency (requiring a huge surplus initially), use the Euro (requiring a controlled budget deficit set by Brussels, and oversight from the ECB) or tie to the English £ (and so not actually be economically independent at all)

Anyways, back to Boris. He isn't the man to save the Union. His schtick doesn't work north of Carlisle.

DB9

You what ? After the Conservative and Unionist party bribed them for their support - how ungrateful !
I'm not talking about the DUP, I'm talking about the Republicans who while happy to take the "Queens Pound" would rather much prefer to take the Irish Euro.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
After reading lamrobhero's posts on England, Scotland and the Union, I'm not sure if he's a WUM or Ian Blackford.