• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FILM & TV REMAKES

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
As a western buff I’d say that 3.10 to Yuma 2007 was marginally better than the 1957 original. Much as I liked Ford and Van Heflin in their roles , I found the 2007 version’s ending much more satisfying.
What do you make of the Coen Bros True Grit vs John Wayne, Glenn Campbell etc. in the original?

Banksy

What do you make of the Coen Bros True Grit vs John Wayne, Glenn Campbell etc. in the original?
A difficult one for me given I enjoyed both.I’ll give Big John’s 1969 version the edge though and think he really did deserve his Oscar for that one.Not that it matters to both films’ enjoyment too much , but also the original was closer to the novel on which they were both based.I do like Glen Campbell’s theme song too and thought he played his role better than Matt Damon.

Banksy

P.s I wonder who they’d put in the main roles if they ever remade Shane , another of my favourites.
Could they easily replace Jack Palance as the gunfighter Wilson? And what about Shane himself.Maybe someone a tad taller!

StroudGrecian

A difficult one for me given I enjoyed both.I’ll give Big John’s 1969 version the edge though and think he really did deserve his Oscar for that one.Not that it matters to both films’ enjoyment too much , but also the original was closer to the novel on which they were both based.I do like Glen Campbell’s theme song too and thought he played his role better than Matt Damon.
Agreed. I would add that IMHO Hailee Steinfeld's Mattie far outshone Kim Darby's original, who I have always find just the wrong side of irritating (though that is the character of course). I would also add that I found Jeff Bridge's version of Rooster's southern drawl almost impossible to understand - my enjoyment improved markedly once my (then) teenage daughter showed me how to get the subtitles up. :)

Banksy

Agreed. I would add that IMHO Hailee Steinfeld's Mattie far outshone Kim Darby's original, who I have always find just the wrong side of irritating (though that is the character of course). I would also add that I found Jeff Bridge's version of Rooster's southern drawl almost impossible to understand - my enjoyment improved markedly once my (then) teenage daughter showed me how to get the subtitles up. :)
Ah , you’re into subtitles too.I was given that hint by my ( at the time) tiny granddaughter. I find that it helps with the good ol‘ Southern accents of the likes of Matthew McConaughey!

Rosencrantz

Ah , you’re into subtitles too.I was given that hint by my ( at the time) tiny granddaughter. I find that it helps with the good ol‘ Southern accents of the likes of Matthew McConaughey!
Helps my mum with all accents especially Scouse and Geordie 😉

StroudGrecian

Couldn't watch Dallas Buyers Club without subtitles!