• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Automobiles : Good,Bad & the Ugly.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great Advert from when the Metro was launched.
At the end it mentioned 12000 mile or 1 year before services.
I had forgotten that that my first cars in the late 1970s,A mini & then a MK 111 Cortina were usually recommended for a service every 6 months
Of course you could easily do it yourself in those days with just a little bit of knowledge & a few tools.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you owned and loved this brand, Might be a place to visit.

With four up in the VX 4/90 model I cruised up Porlock Hill nae bother DB..

The one I really fancied but couldn't afford..

DB9

With four up in the VX 4/90 model I cruised up Porlock Hill nae bother DB..

The one I really fancied but couldn't afford..

Lovely cars, My father did have a H plate Victor and later he had a proper P plate VX4/90 that did go like stink. In later years India took the tooling and built them over there I think throughout the 80's

Rosencrantz

Some chap in the next road to me in the last week has got a 15ish year old Bentley Continental (stupid plate so hard to tell the age accurately). It has a matt black bonnet, roof and boot down through the centre of the car, with a metallic terracotta colour on the side panels and doors except on the driver side where the lower front and rear wing panels are black making it lopsided.

I have to drive past it every time I leave the house in the car. It's really annoying me 🤬

Oldsmobile-88

Ouch...That looks like a expensive mistake in a Porsche Taycan.

Oldsmobile-88

What are posters thoughts about the banning of internal combustion engines in new cars from 2030 & Hybrids from 2035 ?

It would be interesting to hear what Snakeys thoughts are about this subject & what the motor industry thinks.

Personally I think it’s not going to happen in the time frame that BJ has set out.
The public have been burned before with the unwise decision(pollution wise) to switch to diesel cars around 2005 & do not have much faith in political decisions around the cash cow that is private transport.

Grecian2K

Ouch...That looks like a expensive mistake in a Porsche Taycan.
Now, if he'd only done the sensible thing and reversed in......?

LOG

My car had its MOT the other day which had been extended after originally being due in May. I don't do a huge amount of distance normally but it showed that in the last 18 months or so i'd done about 3,500 miles.

Oldsmobile-88

No surprise really.Manufacturers stated MPG & emissions have always been fiction that do not reflect real world driving.

Oldsmobile-88

My runaround,a 2003 Citroen Saxo In which I have travelled 18,000 miles in since the last MOT(May 2019 + 6 months extension) Passed its latest test. 😁
Makes the expenditure in the intervening period worth while,New tyres x4,Exhaust,Driveshaft,fuel pump,wheel bearing plus a oil change(not all done at the same time)That lot was just shy of a grand so you can understand my pleasure.
Its been in the family for over 12 years too so there is a bit of a sentimental attachment..130k on the clock with a many football trips if it’s just me or one other travelling.
I’ve got something nice for high days & holidays to Scotland(though I have taken the Saxo when it’s just me travelling) but I do love my knockabout motor....A few dents & it returns 50mpg + on a run.

Last edited: