• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

20/21 Season

Ash

This is the 49th season eve for me.

Sadly never been more disinterested despite the good news with Ollies transfer to Villa & what it means to the club I have watched since 1971.

I have seen dire campaigns the previous season,near bankruptcy a couple of occasions,many poor & mediocre seasons,but I have always looked forward with excitement to the first game in a new season.

ifollow as good as it probably is,is not for me.
The few times I have watched the Grecians on live TV I have disliked it,feeling I should be there to take it all in for better or worse.

Football is nothing without fans watching in the ground.
Living up to your username there!

Seriously though I do understand the preference and desire to actually be there. But for a fiver each me and a mate were jumping around the garden yesterday as we watched on a 50 inch screen in the open air as Matt & Joel got the season off to (almost) a flier! Not the same as being there, but loads better than not being involved at all and well worth it until we can get back to SJP.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Living up to your username there!

Seriously though I do understand the preference and desire to actually be there. But for a fiver each me and a mate were jumping around the garden yesterday as we watched on a 50 inch screen in the open air as Matt & Joel got the season off to (almost) a flier! Not the same as being there, but loads better than not being involved at all and well worth it until we can get back to SJP.
Ha...😁..Username is a car i used to have,but I feel Old at times 😎

Yep,fair play....Not against ifollow tbh & as you say better than nothing to watch live at the moment.

I believe it will play a larger part for clubs in the coming years & this is a watershed for the service.

Ash

Ha...😁..Username is a car i used to have,but I feel Old at times 😎

Yep,fair play....Not against ifollow tbh & as you say better than nothing to watch live at the moment.

I believe it will play a larger part for clubs in the coming years & this is a watershed for the service.
Agree about ifollow moving forward. COVID has massively accelerated a whole bunch of trends we were already in the midst of, such as moving away from the High Street to online, flexible working from home, video conferencing and of course, ifollow. That said it'll never replace being there. BTW, just using a HDMI cable from a laptop to your TV is such a big improvement and we found watching outdoors added a bit of authenticity to the whole experience too.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope you are right. But not until they have several more cameras at every game, IMO. I find a single camera just doesn't provide a good experience.

But of course that means more cost and equipment.

Oldsmobile-88

I hope you are right. But not until they have several more cameras at every game, IMO. I find a single camera just doesn't provide a good experience.

But of course that means more cost and equipment.
I wonder if in the not too distant future all clubs will have their own TV channel broadcasting on the internet along with all the rights that go with it.

I was in Scotland a couple of weeks ago & listened to the Ross County Chairman on the radio talking about his clubs own TV channel.
Ross County are in the SPL,but are a small club with a fan base that is pretty small compared to many EFL clubs at our level.

The stumbling block of course will be existing TV rights & the weening off the teat of those incomes,which I believe are worth around £500k when the solidarity payment from the PL is taken into account.

Rosencrantz

I wonder if in the not too distant future all clubs will have their own TV channel broadcasting on the internet along with all the rights that go with it.

I was in Scotland a couple of weeks ago & listened to the Ross County Chairman on the radio talking about his clubs own TV channel.
Ross County are in the SPL,but are a small club with a fan base that is pretty small compared to many EFL clubs at our level.

The stumbling block of course will be existing TV rights & the weening off the teat of those incomes,which I believe are worth around £500k when the solidarity payment from the PL is taken into account.
What you talk of though Olds is just what the big clubs you think would actually want for live game coverage. Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc would make an absolute mint selling live rights individually or on their own subscription channel, such as MUTV. They would stand to gain much more than other clubs in the Premier League.

The disparity in media based income, which is shared around to an extent even if we down here in L1 and L2 get breadcrumbs in comparison, is far more evenly distributed through a collective bargaining of TV rights than it would selling individual rights. The big clubs have actually decided not to go down that route, so far, even though they would profit massively over others even more than now.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
With Cambridge I believe the main reason it was scapped was the short notice as they had allocated 2000 tickets and then were told they could only have 1000. Even if they had decided and informed those with tickets who were the lucky and unlucky 1000 it could have been a nightmare organising the day had more than 1000 turned up with tickets and tried to get it. They want to do another event if they are aloud with 1000 at a later date.

I watched the BBC FA cup game yesterday, although it's smaller numbers it makes it a little ridiculous that these teams are staging games with people watching . I understand for the smaller sides they need a few hundred to be able to keep going , but if non league sides are aloud 300-600 then league sides could have this too. It's not going to bring in much income and would create the problem of who gets them, I guess a ballot of season ticket holders is the fairest, but it would be better than nothing , and the only way to know if people going to football will spread coronavirus is to test it.

I went for a run along the sea front at Lyme Regis today, and it was very busy, but that was apparently ok.

Oldsmobile-88

With Cambridge I believe the main reason it was scapped was the short notice as they had allocated 2000 tickets and then were told they could only have 1000. Even if they had decided and informed those with tickets who were the lucky and unlucky 1000 it could have been a nightmare organising the day had more than 1000 turned up with tickets and tried to get it. They want to do another event if they are aloud with 1000 at a later date.

I watched the BBC FA cup game yesterday, although it's smaller numbers it makes it a little ridiculous that these teams are staging games with people watching . I understand for the smaller sides they need a few hundred to be able to keep going , but if non league sides are aloud 300-600 then league sides could have this too. It's not going to bring in much income and would create the problem of who gets them, I guess a ballot of season ticket holders is the fairest, but it would be better than nothing , and the only way to know if people going to football will spread coronavirus is to test it.

I went for a run along the sea front at Lyme Regis today, and it was very busy, but that was apparently ok.
I think Cambridge were allowed 2,000 initially as a test event(25% of capacity) but authorities got cold feet after BJs announcements last Wednesday.
A real setback for all EFL clubs.

Exmouth Town were allowed 300 last Saturday(att 297) which was a excellent crowd,well managed by the club stewards who are all volunteers.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The FA Cup 1st qualifying draw will be made today. The 1st round proper will be played on Saturday 7th November. As it currently stands if we're drawn at home then there will be no fans allowed. If we get drawn away to non league club then some fans will be allowed in!

Fareham Grecian

The FA Cup 1st qualifying draw will be made today. The 1st round proper will be played on Saturday 7th November. As it currently stands if we're drawn at home then there will be no fans allowed. If we get drawn away to non league club then some fans will be allowed in!
Not away fans though