• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Salford City v Exeter City Official Match Day Thread

budegrecian

In the pre season friendlies our corners were very poor, but yesterday we looked very inventive with them. Clearly some work has been done on the training ground, in that area. I believe Dan Green is in charge of this, so well done.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know it's very early days, but quite honestly I'm excited about the prospects for our young lads. I started to feel that in that competition where they got to the semi final. .Apart from their skill and energy I feel they have a winning mentality . Don't think their heads will drop. It's the spirit of youth 👍👍👍👍

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I posted during the game, when this happened, that we should have had a penalty. I think you are very right: he needed to go down to get the penalty awarded but instead he carried on & tried to score & credit to him for that.
Looked at this a couple of times but to me doesn't look a foul, would have been fuming had we conceded a pen for that, and bowman probably should have done better on that occasion. It may have got him a foul in a different area, but he would probably have had to dive to be sure of getting it.

grecianstew

Should have been a gift, Bowman looked like he was running in treacle.

robchave

Looked at this a couple of times but to me doesn't look a foul, would have been fuming had we conceded a pen for that, and bowman probably should have done better on that occasion. It may have got him a foul in a different area, but he would probably have had to dive to be sure of getting it.
For me, the foul was the defender's hand on Bowman's left shoulder and the slight pull-back. It's not much contact admittedly, but the purpose was to unbalance the attacker and stop him getting a good shot off. In that, it succeeded. Penalty.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
For me, the foul was the defender's hand on Bowman's left shoulder and the slight pull-back. It's not much contact admittedly, but the purpose was to unbalance the attacker and stop him getting a good shot off. In that, it succeeded. Penalty.
Ah yes , watching again I see what you mean and can understand Matt being annoyed because the ref admitted he saw it too. I still think though that majority of refs wouldn't give it there because they want it more clear cut if it means a pen and a red card.

Must admit I don't know the rule, if MT is correct then maybe the ref didn't know what the rule was either?

Red & White

A good point from the game yesterday, we showed good character to stay composed despite going a goal down early in the match. It would have been a very soft penalty if the Bowman incident had been awared, for me he should have done better being one on one with the keeper. Another positve is that iFollow appeared to work ok for the whole match!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
A good point from the game yesterday, we showed good character to stay composed despite going a goal down early in the match. It would have been a very soft penalty if the Bowman incident had been awared, for me he should have done better being one on one with the keeper. Another positve is that iFollow appeared to work ok for the whole match!
Yes, it would have been a soft penalty but if you're a defender and you put your hands on the striker you're asking for trouble, especially if he's goal side of you. It was a while ago now but I seem to remember Dara O''Shea conceding a similar penalty in the crazy game against Grimsby,

Rosencrantz

The defender tried to impede Bowman to put him off as he shot and got away with it. Years ago Harley ran through and a Rochdale defender did the same, Harley stopped and looked back to the ref appealing. Penalty and red card, City go on to win 5-1. Soft, but correct. And as mentioned above the Dara incident against Grimsby where the guy went down if I remember correctly under probably less contact.

Because Bowman gets a shot off, it gives the ref an excuse not to give it. If Bowman does any of the above, the ref is probably much more likely to give the decision our way. After all, there is no attempt to play the ball and he is making deliberate contact to impede, however softly. It's inconsistencies within refereeing because it is an interpretation of the law.

STURTZ

Remember seeing a similar incident with Sean Devine, he was brought down inside the six yard box and the referee put the whistle to his lips, Devine soldiered on and managed to get a weak shot in which was cleared off the line. Play on!