• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

IBA

Stuffy
Genuine and (I promise) non political question but, as an aviator yourself, did you ever come across a book called "Stick and Rudder", written regarded by many (at least in the tic basic primer in the mechanics of, at least, basic aviation in GA aircraft.
I had a "Kindle" copy for quite a while but it suddenly disappeared as, it seems,

IBA

On the subject of books!!! This is brilliant https://www.tes.com/news/boris-johnson-and-revenge-school-librarian

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just started Shadow Raiders by Damien Lewis about the Commandos actions to disrupt and retrieve Nazi radar technology. Also linked to the original SAS before David Stirling thought of the idea.

I do enjoy a good old dry history book but Damien Lewis and James Holland do make them a lot more accessible.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

The Bridport Railway,which ran from 1857 to 1975.
One of the last branch lines to shut in the UK.
Very in-depth account of the early days of construction & operation right though to the final closure..

Alistair20000

The Bridport Railway,which ran from 1857 to 1975.
One of the last branch lines to shut in the UK.
Very in-depth account of the early days of construction & operation right though to the final closure..
Were there pictures in the book please Olds ?

Love old railways, stations and steam locos me.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
At one time during the 1840s, there was a plan to extend the Southampton and Dorchester Railway to Exeter, via Bridport.

Oldsmobile-88

Were there pictures in the book please Olds ?

Love old railways, stations and steam locos me.
Loads Al...One of the best I have seen written for a branch line.
I had a wonderful book on the Teign Valley Line,which was exhaustive of the line & full of pictures.
Only one edition was done(£35,but worth it)
I lent it to a friend who was ill & then sadly passed away.It subsequently got lost in the clear out of his flat ☹
53BD756F-8BAB-4476-8244-54DC62390CFF.jpeg4EA21154-7700-4817-84D9-F27278EC88F7.jpeg

Alistair20000

Thanks Olds (y)

Interesting for me as I lived in Dorset until 1983.

Alistair20000

At one time during the 1840s, there was a plan to extend the Southampton and Dorchester Railway to Exeter, via Bridport.
A very steep hill between Dorchester and Bridport if you follow the road but maybe they would have gone round it.

Oldsmobile-88

Thanks Olds (y)

Interesting for me as I lived in Dorset until 1983.
I’m trying to find a book on the railway branch to Abbotsbury.
Always found the Portland Railway interesting too,I can just remember the line going across the isthmus to Portland before it was removed(around 1968)
It was kept for a while after closure in case the RN need it at the HMS Osprey Dock area.