• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

CHESS Carlsen v Nakamura Chess Tour Final Deciding Set Today 20th Aug

lamrobhero

Excellent Coverage starts 1445 on Chess 24 Youtube Channel

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Excellent Coverage starts 1445 on Chess 24 Youtube Channel
Ah , another chess player! Thanks for the link Rob , thought for a moment I was on the wrong site!

Colesman Ballz

Ah , another chess player! Thanks for the link Rob , thought for a moment I was on the wrong site!
Well here is another former player, who used to play in the Exeter and District League, but that was pre even Fisher v Spassky ! :geek:

Banksy

Well here is another former player, who used to play in the Exeter and District League, but that was pre even Fisher v Spassky ! :geek:
Ah , who did you play for if you don’t mind me asking.I played for Exeter and way back when the now defunct Civil Service team.

Colesman Ballz

Ah , who did you play for if you don’t mind me asking.I played for Exeter and way back when the now defunct Civil Service team.
Exeter School B, and then A. The younger one of two brothers I played with went on to play with the Exeter Rooks I believe, his name was Stephen Owen, you may have known. him. I largely gave up after I left for college, when succumbing to the increasing allure of the fairer sex, my interest in the Cambridge Springs declined proportionately as my interest in bed springs rose ! :cool:

lamrobhero

Yea sorry I advertised it a bit late the last 6 days have been awesome though still viewable

lamrobhero

Exeter Chess Club in Cathedral Close in the mid 70s, knew Steven Owen. Exeter College Chess team competing in the Exeter & District League 4 of us driving around in a Morris, main aim was to finish the game in time so that we could go round the pub

Banksy

Exeter School B, and then A. The younger one of two brothers I played with went on to play with the Exeter Rooks I believe, his name was Stephen Owen, you may have known. him. I largely gave up after I left for college, when succumbing to the increasing allure of the fairer sex, my interest in the Cambridge Springs declined proportionately as my interest in bed springs rose ! :cool:
Yes , I knew Steve very well from the Exeter Club.Also helped run the East Devon Congress with him for a while. You would have known Dave Beckwith too then?

Banksy

Exeter Chess Club in Cathedral Close in the mid 70s, knew Steven Owen. Exeter College Chess team competing in the Exeter & District League 4 of us driving around in a Morris, main aim was to finish the game in time so that we could go round the pub
I know it well , about then I was playing for the Civil Service team that went out of business around the early eighties( from distant memory).Then played for Exeter.Knew Steve and his mate Jon Kelway who now lives near Ilfracombe and Steve BonI face who sadly died.We all used to run the East Devon together.

Colesman Ballz

Yes , I knew Steve very well from the Exeter Club.Also helped run the East Devon Congress with him for a while. You would have known Dave Beckwith too then?
Don't know Dave. Steve was a couple of years younger than me, his older brother Edward was in my year and indeed we still keep in contact. One year Steve was Junior Cup Holder at School, and I held the Senior. Steve became a very good player, better than either me or his brother. Last time I saw him was quaffing ale in the Bridge Inn at Topsham when back in Exeter for the weekend probably 35 years ago. The only other guy who I know who played at the Exeter Club, (via a totally unconnected route) was Charles Ellis. We played many an afternoon game together sat on the grass in Cathedral Close, around 68/69, and a few years later after he returned to Exeter from College I believe that he became a member.