• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Macclesfield Relegated

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can’t say I’m surprised 😯

DawlishBouy

Stevenage stay up. Had 6 loanees on their books when last season was suspended and they released 22 players at the end of the season. They are better placed than any club in the divison to overhaul and improve their squad. Potential dark horses for next season?

Stevenage stay up. Had 6 loanees on their books when last season was suspended and they released 22 players at the end of the season. They are better placed than any club in the divison to overhaul and improve their squad. Potential dark horses for next season?
Or they could crash and burn like no team has ever done before! There is only a few weeks before the season starts and lots of players to get to gel together

Oldsmobile-88

With the saga finally being put to sleep,the EFL can at last look at doing the fixture list for 20/21.

On the ruling about the relegation.The whole mess says a lot about how the EFL is governed & their unwise move to farm out club discipline to a independent body.If they had done it ‘in house’ Macclesfield would have been sent packing months ago.
I suspect that was the reason that L2 clubs did not want any team relegated this season(on the vote about finishing the season prematurely)

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Disgusting decision compared to what's been implemented for Bolton and the other teams in similar situations.

Stevenage fully deserved to be relegated. Hope they go down next year.

Oldsmobile-88

Just been reminded that Macclesfield saved the Grecians from relegation to non league in 1995 after finishing bottom of the Football League.

Macclesfield had won the Conference but Moss Rose did not meet the minimum criteria for FL Grounds & were denied promotion.
A real bit of luck because it was deemed suitable only 2 seasons before when Chester groundshared at Moss Rose for a couple of seasons.

Torquay had a similar escape the following season when Stevenage Boroughs ground was similarly found not to be at the minimum requirement for a Football League Ground.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just been reminded that Macclesfield saved the Grecians from relegation to non league in 1995 after finishing bottom of the Football League.

Macclesfield had won the Conference but Moss Rose did not meet the minimum criteria for FL Grounds & were denied promotion.
A real bit of luck because it was deemed suitable only 2 seasons before when Chester groundshared at Moss Rose for a couple of seasons.

Torquay had a similar escape the following season when Stevenage Boroughs ground was similarly found not to be at the minimum requirement for a Football League Ground.
A fact that still causes much grievance in GU22. Stevenage asked Torquay to pay them a bung to stop them selling their top scorer. Knowing they couldn't be promoted, they saw the opportunity to fleece the gulls. Had 2nd place Woking won the league instead, Torquay would have been relegated.

Odious club - forever and always.

Oldsmobile-88

A fact that still causes much grievance in GU22. Stevenage asked Torquay to pay them a bung to stop them selling their top scorer. Knowing they couldn't be promoted, they saw the opportunity to fleece the gulls. Had 2nd place Woking won the league instead, Torquay would have been relegated.

Odious club - forever and always.
I seem to recall,Torquay Chairman at the time,Mike Bateson saying that he had been contracted by Stevenage.

I believe now teams in the top flight of non league have to have their grounds up to FL standard at the turn of the year if they want to be promoted.

dontpassback

Didn’t old Phil Wallace try and get us kicked out of the conference because of our CVA,and I think Tony Kleanthous the Barnet chairman sided with us and Wallace backed down,I can’t remember the full scenario but someone on here can probably recall it better than me