• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with Mike.

Chrisene will go to Villa. He'll play some U18 matches, possibly some U23's. He will then go on loan to Walsall or Oxford to get some game time. Then he'll come back.
Then in 2021/22 season he may go on a season long loan to get adult football. Shrewsbury say.
Then he'll come back again

But he'll be being paid a lot more than he would at ECFC.
This may well turn out to be true but it is worth noting that both Jay and Ethan made appearances for the first team in their first season after leaving us. Although, of course, neither of them have completely proved themselves yet it does seem the case that only players with a genuine expectation of standing out at a higher level are leaving us at 16 and everyone else is choosing to stay at City.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We all know the system stinks and it is great credit to the club that Julian Tagg is leading the campaign for change. However, reading through this thread the continuing bitterness that a number of posters continue to feel towards people like Jay and Ben continues to amaze me.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
We’re talking about a 16 year old lads future life and possibilities for him - good luck to him, it’s an extremely rare opportunity for a football player to sign for a Premier League club and absolutely life changing. Whether it turns out to be the right route, who knows but I can’t begrudge Ben and Jay those golden tickets to a completely different world.

Meanwhile City are going to be mentioned more and more with the talent at our academy continually making the biggest league in the world. Hopefully we can use some of the Watkins money to move up an academy category and help protect ourselves a bit more whilst upgrading facilities further.

It’s incredible work.

ryancooper327

We’re talking about a 16 year old lads future life and possibilities for him - good luck to him, it’s an extremely rare opportunity for a football player to sign for a Premier League club and absolutely life changing. Whether it turns out to be the right route, who knows but I can’t begrudge Ben and Jay those golden tickets to a completely different world.

Meanwhile City are going to be mentioned more and more with the talent at our academy continually making the biggest league in the world. Hopefully we can use some of the Watkins money to move up an academy category and help protect ourselves a bit more whilst upgrading facilities further.

It’s incredible work.
Hopefully those mentions will come to just enough money to sign a centre back, not sure on the exchange rates at the moment.

Sorry, couldn’t resist! Joking aside, I’m not sure we’ll be jumping up a category anytime soon, even with a small windfall.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster

It’s incredible work.
Whilst I would love to advance the academy to the next level, I just cannot see that happening. The ongoing revenue costs of advancement are significant and I fear, beyond us.

andrew p long

Agree with Mike.

What really sticks in the craw is these clubs all have their own massive academy systems and yet still cream off the best from the smaller clubs just to add more bodies. Vast majority end out on loan - in Chelsea's case all over Europe. If there were strict, really strict, rules about sizes of academies and first team squads (including loan players), that would help.

Chrisene will go to Villa. He'll play some U18 matches, possibly some U23's. He will then go on loan to Walsall or Oxford to get some game time. Then he'll come back.
Then in 2021/22 season he may go on a season long loan to get adult football. Shrewsbury say.
Then he'll come back again

But he'll be being paid a lot more than he would at ECFC.
and ,just to add to that, the big clubs moan that *their* youngsters don’t get to play against adults enough so want to have reserve or youth teams in League Two. That is a problem they themselves have created by hoovering up all the youngsters at an early age.

andrew p long

Randall Williams is proof you can pick up good ex Prem. League players, improve them and then sale on.
has Williams been sold?

IndoMike

and ,just to add to that, the big clubs moan that *their* youngsters don’t get to play against adults enough so want to have reserve or youth teams in League Two. That is a problem they themselves have created by hoovering up all the youngsters at an early age.
The cheek of it.

Boyo

Chrisene played for England under 15’s a year before his City debut and had trials with just about very Premiership club as well as some in the Bundesliga in the intervening period. His selection for the first team will increase his value if any fee is decided by tribunal.
I think our geographical position actually works to our benefit here. Devon is simply too far away from the Premier League clubs for scholars to sign for. I suspect that lads in the Walsall, Oldham or Orient academies that show promise at an early age are snapped up by Premier League teams on their doorsteps under the EPPP compensation (which in reality amounts to a pittance).

malcolms

We all know the system stinks and it is great credit to the club that Julian Tagg is leading the campaign for change. However, reading through this thread the continuing bitterness that a number of posters continue to feel towards people like Jay and Ben continues to amaze me.
It's not "bitter" at all...It's recognising that, with a little thought, these young players could repay the commitment that the club has made and the long hours that were spent, by so many people, in fostering their talents to a level where they had the opportunity. We all know the system and we all should know that its not going to change, so the only way the club can protect their investment is by trying to persuade these kids to sign a deal so the bigger clubs have to pay a proper price...