• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What was the last pub you visited...

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mmmm faggots. Love faggots. (y)
Which is what I sampled last Thursday while in dining at The Ship, Cockwood. While my daughter-in-law claimed her caesar salad was her best ever, my son was less impressed with his monk fish. Ever googled what a monk fish looks like?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Which is what I sampled last Thursday while in dining at The Ship, Cockwood. While my daughter-in-law claimed her caesar salad was her best ever, my son was less impressed with his monk fish. Ever googled what a monk fish looks like?
Monkfish is hideously ugly. Think Jay Rayner.

Colesman Ballz

The barman serving me said it was made in Winkleigh near Oakhampton (is there a Winkleigh down thataways?) He then went on to say he wasn't sure of what the cost of a pint was. I said I believed it was 75pence which caused great levity before he ripped me for £3.60.
Stuffy not only is there a Winkleigh NE of Okehampton, but there was RAF Winkleigh too, which I am sure that you will find interesting. Built in WW2 at times it housed RAF squadrons, Polish, Canadian, American and even Black Ops ones with Lysanders, resulting in some official records not even acknowledging it's existence. If you Google it there is an extensive on line history. Happy reading !

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stuffy not only is there a Winkleigh NE of Okehampton, but there was RAF Winkleigh too, which I am sure that you will find interesting. Built in WW2 at times it housed RAF squadrons, Polish, Canadian, American and even Black Ops ones with Lysanders, resulting in some official records not even acknowledging it's existence. If you Google it there is an extensive on line history. Happy reading !
Thanks for that CB. Driving to Westward Ho! many years ago I seem to recall the road ran right through what would have been the airfield site with the runways on your right and the ubiquitous wartime 'maycrete' buildings on your left - I believe that some such buildings are still in use at Exeter Airport.

As an afterthought I've added this link that might add to your knowledge and interest..

http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/Winkleigh.html

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The John Harvey Tavern in Lewes. Lovely pint of Harvey's Sussex Best. The brewery manager bought me a pint as well 😀

Oldsmobile-88

All Stars Bar,Sidwell St..Went in especially for the wonderful cita IPA only to be told that the brewer(Guinness) have stopped making it ☹☹
A few bottles of Yellow Hammer consumed instead.

I can recommend the food in the establishment too.

Colesman Ballz

The Old Ship Aground at Minehead Harbour, Sitting outside enjoying the evening sun, quaffing a few pints of well kept Directors, and gazing across to a foreign land (Wales ) !

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yet again I failed to clear my plate after enjoying a superb mix grill at the Blunsdon Arms Inn, North Swindon.

One for you Elgy if you tear youself away from Hungry Horse establishments ;)

Banksy

The Farriers Arms on Wednesday.The pub is actually owned by our village Mersham.
The Old Forge brewery attached to the pub was founded in 2010, just a year after the Farriers Arms was bought and rescued by the village.
The beer I had was one and a half pints of their own microbrewery beer called 1606 which is when the pub dates back to.
In the evening I had half a pint of my own brew a chocolate stout.

Oldsmobile-88

The Babbacombe Hotel,Torquay...Being a philistine on ale & beer matters,having a pint of Worthingtons Cream Flow 🤣...Don’t choke Hants 😁😎