• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Long Lost Bee

I think his chances of leaving next season have now changed dramatically thanks to that win by Huddersfiel.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think his chances of leaving next season have now changed dramatically thanks to that win by Huddersfiel.
It's up to you now LLB, Auto would be so much better than the play offs, Form would go out the window. As for Ollie, He'll be an asset for whoever he plays for, There aren't many players who have been so successful when they have changed position, Playing in the middle rather than the wing he has grown in stature.

Rosencrantz

I’m not going to go back and read all the posts in this thread but recent posts seem to indicate that if Brentford go up then Watkins will stay and we won’t get any dosh from a potential transfer to a big club. Why? Why can’t a big club come in and offer a price that Brentford would be silly to refuse? Let’s say he bangs another couple of goals in for the last 2 games and they get promoted. If someone offers 20-25 million for him what is stopping Brentford cashing in. They can get other quality strikers. Just putting it out there.
It would need one of three things to happen for Ollie to be sold if Brentford get promoted.

a) Eye watering offer that Brentford can't turn down, in the PL they don't need to sell - it will have to be well in excess of £20-25 million which I am not sure will happen before Ollie proves himself in the PL.

b) Ollie's contract has a release clause no one knows about - possible with Ollie only relatively recently having signed a new deal.

c) Offers come in and Ollie really wants the move and kicks up a fuss to force Brentford in to accepting it - Ollie's never looked like that kind of character.

I suspect if Brentford get up to the PL the chances of an immediate move will be 20% at best.

Red Devon

It would need one of three things to happen for Ollie to be sold if Brentford get promoted.

a) Eye watering offer that Brentford can't turn down, in the PL they don't need to sell - it will have to be well in excess of £20-25 million which I am not sure will happen before Ollie proves himself in the PL.

b) Ollie's contract has a release clause no one knows about - possible with Ollie only relatively recently having signed a new deal.

c) Offers come in and Ollie really wants the move and kicks up a fuss to force Brentford in to accepting it - Ollie's never looked like that kind of character.

I suspect if Brentford get up to the PL the chances of an immediate move will be 20% at best.
Isn’t there a risk though that if Brentford go up and do a Norwich (struggle really badly) and Watkins only gets 4 or 5 goals his value would take a serious dive South.

denzel

What will be. We shouldn't be banking on any sale to keep us afloat
Ollie has done amazingly well, as have Brentford. Best of luck to them.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn’t there a risk though that if Brentford go up and do a Norwich (struggle really badly) and Watkins only gets 4 or 5 goals his value would take a serious dive South.
That was my concern too. If he does really well though, he’d be worth a shit tonne!

Alistair20000

Or he could flop in the Premier League for Brentford and be worth half of what he is now
Possibly but I reckon he is a Vardy

Dannyred

What will be. We shouldn't be banking on any sale to keep us afloat
Ollie has done amazingly well, as have Brentford. Best of luck to them.
Exactly.

I think the likelihood of Ollie leaving Brentford now is extremely slim.

Good Luck to Brentford on your success and I hope you get in the premier league.

andrew p long

Yes, but why sell a player who knows your club well to bring in a quality striker for roughly the same money as you would get for Ollie?
indeed. And of course they wouldn’t have all the Ollie sale proceeds to spend on a replacement... because they have to pay 20% of their profit to the club they bought him from..

IndoMike

Knowing football as we do, I wouldn't bank on Brentford going up yet. If they lost away to Stoke (which is not impossible) the pressure would be on them. Things are never as simple as they look.