• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

VAR Yay or Nay ?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
The offside decisions are, IMHO, sometimes bordering on ridiculous. I get the argument that offside is offside but when it's a big toe i'd also like to know what advantage that player has gained. This could vary from "a lot" to "nothing" but because VAR just takes a clinical, binary approach that doesn't come into it. Go too far down this line and we might as well watch a computer play FIFA against itself.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Overall Farce

Alistair20000

Overall Farce
Save that for the Quiz in December Mr Dozen. :)

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
The offside decisions are, IMHO, sometimes bordering on ridiculous. I get the argument that offside is offside but when it's a big toe i'd also like to know what advantage that player has gained. This could vary from "a lot" to "nothing" but because VAR just takes a clinical, binary approach that doesn't come into it. Go too far down this line and we might as well watch a computer play FIFA against itself.
I think the problem is that it isn't taking a "clinical, binary approach". It's coming down to the VAR referees subjective opinion. It is not a quantified statistical algorithm, it's someone sitting behind a screen making subjective judgement calls.

Spoonz Red E

The two big 'positional' areas of contention that VAR and other technology was supposed to address were offsides and goal-line incidents.
Goal line is pretty much taken care of by the technology.
Offside could be automated if the rules were tweaked accordingly and markers placed on players boots and/or sleeves near the shoulders for technology to pick up.
Any of these markers nearest to the goal-line would be the one that counts.

VAR would then be left to look out for any other error or wrong judgement call which the referee should then be able to review visually.

LOG

I think the problem is that it isn't taking a "clinical, binary approach". It's coming down to the VAR referees subjective opinion. It is not a quantified statistical algorithm, it's someone sitting behind a screen making subjective judgement calls.
On offside decisions only that was what i was talking about? I've not seen them do that but then i don't watch a huge amount of Premier League stuff.

Oldsmobile-88

People were demanding this technology predominantly for the automated goal line technology. The EPL and FA took it much further by essentially instigating a video referee and video lino. That wasn't what people wanted and suffers from human error in the same way as traditional referees and linos do
Yep...Goal line technology is one thing..The VAR is on a different planet by comparison
Goal line technology is good for the game.Can’t say the same about VAR.

A big Nay from me.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Infantino said this at the IFAB AGM, is he implying we could get it at L1/L2? Please no

"cheaper “VAR-lite” for wider use "

Rosencrantz

Infantino said this at the IFAB AGM, is he implying we could get it at L1/L2? Please no

"cheaper “VAR-lite” for wider use "
Huxtable will be happy not having to waddle around.

Legohead

Banned
IMO the fat cat Premier League bosses are getting payback. They were all bleating before VAR came in about refereeing decisions costing them and wanted VAR. Then they get VAR and they are moaning even more about refereeing decisions! :ROFLMAO:

Making a decision about anything that happens in a game is subjective, other than whether the ball fully crosses the goal line for which we have goal line technology which is 99.9% accurate. I say 99.9% because i seem to recall one incident this season, was it Sheff U? Not sure but it's the only **** up to date with the goal line tech.

Every single decision other than if a ball has crossed the line or not is subjective. It is subjective because of the bias of the official, the interpretation of the official, the camera angle the incident is viewed from etc etc. Therefore we have no need for VAR and there has never ever been a need for VAR. The need for it was through greed and nothing else. Refs were costing teams points and therefore money. It wasn't the fact that the managers and players were crap, oh no. It wasn't that. :whistle::whistle::sneaky::sneaky:

VAR has ruined the Prem. Every single time a goal goes in i automatically expect a VAR check, whether it's warranted or not. It's lunacy.