• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Golf Talk

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
So with lockdown being relaxed, a few games of golf have been played the last couple of weeks down at starcross.. only because you seem to need to book before you go elsewhere.. but sadly its a bit past its sell by date.. Certainly more rough than green..

I haven't properly played for a few years but have got back into the swing** of things especially whilst being furloughed, a lot of friends have joined me to grab a few eagles and plenty of Bogey's

So if you play, where too? any courses you like, any you hate and what's in you bag?

Im currently using prosimmons but getting a set of Yonex V Max 320 irons this week to play with.. Going down the graphite route as my ping driver has a lovely swing and felt more in control...

**pun intended

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Must confess that, at my advanced age, "proper" golf is a bit too energetic for the creaking joints and aching legs!

However, have taken advantage of lockdown to get into The Golf Club sim (PC - and other platforms I believe)

Fantastic range of courses from around the world contributed - FREE OF CHARGE - by the "community"(even got Dawlish Warren!!! - although, sadly, not Starcross - or Exeter G&C Club). I particularly like the Loch Lomond and Celtic Manor ones.

As "this year's" revamp is coming out imminently TGC19 for PC was quite significantly discounted on Steam - hence why I bought it! At least, once purchased, there are no travelling costs or green fees to contend with.

Quite a steep learning curve - both the thumbs and the gamepad take quite a hammering getting used to it - but the sheer delight of landing a 300 yard drive against a tricky cross wind plumb in the middle of the fairway, or managing to sink a 40 ft putt on a sloping green is (almost) as satisfying as the real thing!

IndoMike

So with lockdown being relaxed, a few games of golf have been played the last couple of weeks down at starcross.. only because you seem to need to book before you go elsewhere.. but sadly its a bit past its sell by date.. Certainly more rough than green..

I haven't properly played for a few years but have got back into the swing** of things especially whilst being furloughed, a lot of friends have joined me to grab a few eagles and plenty of Bogey's

So if you play, where too? any courses you like, any you hate and what's in you bag?

Im currently using prosimmons but getting a set of Yonex V Max 320 irons this week to play with.. Going down the graphite route as my ping driver has a lovely swing and felt more in control...

**pun intended
I played quite a bit a few years ago but more often went to the driving range than the course, although I did frequent a local course from time to time. They closed the driving range 3 years ago. Though I really enjoyed it and was a great way to use time (6-8 a.m Saturdays) a combination of the closed driving range, queues at the course and aching bones led me to stop. It's a great way to spend a couple of hours, though. My handicap was too awful to mention : probably around 35 😆😆😅

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Took the clubs out for a walk to around Exminster Golf Club. Cracking place to play. Helluva hole at one.. proper dogleg if I ever saw one.. and that long number 8 hole is a challenge to..

Great day for it as the sun was out too

Oldsmobile-88

Had a good round at the one in Dawlish,managed to miss the Windmill Vanes spinning around to get a hole in one 😎😁

Last edited:

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Had a good round at the one in Dawlish,managed to miss the Windmill Vanes spinning around to get a hole in one 😎😁
The one at Dawlish warren is a nightmare, you never get past the pirate ship in one hit.. :D

elginCity

Took the clubs out for a walk to around Exminster Golf Club.
How long has it been open ? Don't remember it back in the day.

IndoMike

Did they close that little pitch and putt golf course on the Topsham Road? Many a time spent there, then off to the pub for a couple of pints

Spoonz Red E

Did they close that little pitch and putt golf course on the Topsham Road? Many a time spent there, then off to the pub for a couple of pints
Closed at the moment with plans to turn it into a contry park area

IndoMike

Thanks for the info, Spoonz . Fun memories with various members of my Exeter family at the pitch and putt course but very happy to see it is to be transformed into a wildlife park rather than an office building or whatever.
Hope I get to see it.