• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Teams we've not played.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
On another thread people are saying how away wins were in the past realy rare and it got me wondering, How many of the 91(90 this season) other teams in the PL/EFL have ECFC never played in a 1st team game? That includes FA, EFL Cup, EFL Trophy (Not including "B Teams") Also this doesn't include pre-season friendlies, Games behind closed doors, Just a competitive game for the 1st team only.

ianaplincorners

On another thread people are saying how away wins were in the past realy rare and it got me wondering, How many of the 91(90 this season) other teams in the PL/EFL have ECFC never played in a 1st team game? That includes FA, EFL Cup, EFL Trophy (Not including "B Teams") Also this doesn't include pre-season friendlies, Games behind closed doors, Just a competitive game for the 1st team only.
ManC, Arsenal and Middlesbrough, all of which have been played in friendlies/testimonials?

Nigel E

ManC, Arsenal and Middlesbrough, all of which have been played in friendlies/testimonials?
Yes, that's the three and we have played them all in friendlies at the Park. (Arsenal in the 60s, and the other two in the early/mid 90s I think).

Though, if we had beaten Man U in the 2005 replay, we were due to play Middlesbrough in the 4th round.

In addition, I think I'm right in saying we have only ever played the West Ham first team in a competitive match when we were both in the Southern League before the first War. Not played them in the League or in any of the cups (except of course their u23s in the Leasing.com)

Rosencrantz

Though, if we had beaten Man U in the 2005 replay, we were due to play Middlesbrough in the 4th round.
A missed chance 🙂

Nigel E

A missed chance 🙂
:) Yes, golden opportunity.... I still blame Sean Devine for missing that chance in front of the Bank.

We printed the tickets for the Middlesbrough game, and the Trust sold them off for something like a quid each to raise a bit of cash. I've got one.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We played Salford for the first time this season, but just one league game.

I'm hoping Harrogate get promoted. I'm not aware that we've played them competitively?

Andy Holloway

"Teams we have NOT played."

After Monday night I would have added Northampton to that list possibly!!

Oldsmobile-88

We drew Arsenal at home in the FAC 4th round in 1978 unfortunately the Grecians lost the 3rd round replay against Wolves.

Nigel E

I'm hoping Harrogate get promoted. I'm not aware that we've played them competitively?
Yeah, they'd be new, as Boreham Wood would be.

Just the thought of potentially playing Boreham Wood is starting to depress me. Personally I'd want Notts Co back, though I suppose Yeovil would be handy given the loss of that lot down the road.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

A strange fixture/team anomaly is Maidstone United
Played them only twice in the League but 6 times in the FAC & once in another cup competition(similar to paintpot)