• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter v Northampton - Play Off Final Discussion Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
as to the article referred to in post 76...

I found it difficult to get past the ‘in 2008 after successive promotions Exeter entered League One..’ 2008?

and the suggestion that this was achieved by a squad including ‘ ...the industry of....Richard Logan...’ Logie is a city hero, but industry was not his strongest point.

so I ploughed on but by the end of the second paragraph Matt Taylor had left the club after the Huddersfield game where we avoided relegation. Really? Wasn’t he part of the side that finished eighth the following season? Doesn’t this do a disservice to our current manager in erasing his role in city’s best ever post war season?

the article may well have had interesting insights but I would suggest the author check a database such as Soccerbase for facts in future.

Last edited:

andrew p long

MT makes Nicky Law’s injury sound concerning...

Colesman Ballz

as to the article referred to in post 76...

I found it difficult to get past the ‘in 2008 after successive promotions Exeter entered League One..’ 2008?

and the suggestion that this was achieved by a squad including ‘ ...the industry of....Richard Logan...’ Logie is a city hero, but industry was not his strongest point.

so I ploughed on but by the end of the second paragraph Matt Taylor had left the club after the Huddersfield game where we avoided relegation. Really? Wasn’t he part of the side that finished eighth the following season? Doesn’t this do a disservice to our current manager in erasing his role in city’s best ever post war season?

the article may well have had interesting insights but I would suggest the author check a database such as Soccerbase for facts in future.
Now steady on there Andrew, perhaps you are totally forgetting that Exeter's best ever post war season , was achieved by Brian
Godfrey in 1979-80, finishing 8th in the third tier. Tis only matched that, not bettered it !

However another fact that Mr Gribble has overlooked is that City finished TWO places off the play-offs that year, as with only three teams being promoted from that League to the Championship, it was only the 3rd to 6th place teams that participate in the play-offs !

It seems that the result of that campaign causes many memory lapses among our supporters. Perhaps it would be better for all concerned if KMT achieves a minimum of 7th place in League 1 next season, and puts an end to all the confusion ? UTC ! :cool:

huxwar

Don't get the City Wembley jinx thing, it's almost as though Cambridge never happened!
I’m hoping it’s me that’s the jinx as I have attended all the losing finals yet the one i missed because I was abroad we won. As I can’t go Monday we could be in luck!!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Wembley pitch is wider than most League Two pitches and it's 5m wider than ours. the grass quality favours players who like to run with the ball and helps a passing game more than pitches at our level. In previous play off finals we haven't had wide players the quality of Williams and Sparkes (Wheeler didn't really play as a winger in the final) and this could be our key to winning the game.
I would suggest Kyle Edwards was pretty decent which is why it is was so baffling to see Deano play on the wing against Coventry instead of him.

fred binneys head

I would suggest Kyle Edwards was pretty decent which is why it is was so baffling to see Deano play on the wing against Coventry instead of him.
#stillfuming

Red Devon

Lee Martin has had a couple extra days training this week according to MT

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m hoping it’s me that’s the jinx as I have attended all the losing finals yet the one i missed because I was abroad we won. As I can’t go Monday we could be in luck!!
It's not you it's me.

Like you I've made all the losing finals, but the one we won I missed as it was my daughters' birthday party! Bleeding 10 year olds!

Tim Long

There's going to be a feature on the game on Foorball Focus today

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Ryan Bowman on Monday's game