• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Colchester United Playoff 2nd Leg Matchday Thread

Legohead

Banned
Maximum credit to Matty Taylor and the players for that performance and result today. The performance especially was just so much more like the standards we expect as fans and the standards that we know this squad can produce. The changes that Matty made, including replacing Ward with Maxted was courageous in such a key game and it paid off, despite Maxted emulating Ward from the first leg and making a costly mistake.

The overall application and performance levels from all the lads who played a part today was amazing in such hot conditions and although they nearly paid for the hard work they put in when tiring badly at the end of normal time, they somehow found the resolve to come back and finish the job in extra time. Superb professionalism and grit on display. The Colchester leveller was cruel on the lads and I did think then that we'd blown it because we looked dead on our feet in the last part of the game.

Pleased for Bowman to get the goal that sealed the tie and now we just have to get over the line against Northampton.

It was great to see all the cardboard cut outs. I thought it looked quite impressive actually and added to the spectacle. Well done the club and those cutout fans!

Just relieved to get the tie over with and now we must beat Northampton and finally get the job done. We owe those cheating Cobblers.

A huge well done to Matty, the rest of the management team and the players. A performance that showed a will to win, determination, commitment and ability which ultimately proved too much for our Essex counterparts.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought Fisher had a very good game. City look so much more of a threat with two up top. I so hope that Taylor continues with this at Wembley

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought Fisher had a very good game. City look so much more of a threat with two up top. I so hope that Taylor continues with this at Wembley
Credit to Taylor for changing the formation. It wasn't working in the first game and he fixed it. Kudos to the man.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not too upset with getting Northampton.Former players usually come back and score against us.Cheltenham have 2 of them.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
how many times have we won a game during extra time? Thinking we did it v forest green in the FA cup , and think we did it v Doncaster in a league cup second leg, a five one win after a three one first leg loss? Any others? Was Maidstone in the FA cup 89/90 extra time or 3-2 after 90?

Another record for city as well to play in the first Wembley game behind closed doors I imagine, and five consequetive playoff semi final second leg victories.

budegrecian

Don't know what Pete's view will be, but another decent referee again tonight, IMO, so there are some decent lower league officials out there after all.

Spoonz Red E

Our record in the past few years against the Cobblers is not inspiring :(
Neither was Morecambe's against us when they beat us at Wembley. ;)

Alistair20000

Don't know what Pete's view will be, but another decent referee again tonight, IMO, so there are some decent lower league officials out there after all.
Pate went into meltdown after Gerken’s shocking effort so I do not expect he noticed.

I did not notice Mr Breakspear too much either so he must have done a decent job.

Spoonz Red E

Also that was a proper game tonight even without a crowd after the poor first match, but I am also trying to picture the atmosphere tonight had it been 7000 plus as it would normally had been , and the feeling of being on the bank with limbs going everywhere as bowman slid in the winner , followed by pouring across the pitch after the final whistle.

Good luck city for the final. Matt Taylor in particular will deserve it if we win I think. Whatever happens I hope we can perform to our best on the day. Wish there was a way for the fans to watch it together.
City are still exciting even when the fans are board stiff.

hardi2b

Missed the game - any chance of video highlights being posted ?