• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why is the Supporters Trust Silent?

ex_user1234

Resigned
Quite frankly that is yet more over stated hyperbole, perhaps you should actually research the truth, before launching yet another unsubstantiated claim !
I'm well aware of the Grecian Soc. It's essentially a stand at Freshers Fair once a year, plus an occasional Facebook post every few months to former students who went to one match (if that) during their time in Exeter. As I said, it's a complete and utter embarrassment that we don't do more. We should be all over Exeter University as a potential gold mine of lifelong supporters. I still follow the results of Gamba Osaka and Cerezo Osaka from living in Japan in my mid 20s. University years are formative years. And there is a helluva lot of Exeter University students!

ex_user1234

Resigned
While I'm being accused of making unsubstantiated claims by those with little to no knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes at City, I'll make another statement: our level of interaction with Exeter City Council is also dire. Every family that moves into Exeter should be getting a co-branded booklet by Exeter City Council and Exeter City Football Club welcoming them to the city. What we pay for it will be made up easily in terms of long-term revenue.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm well aware of the Grecian Soc. It's essentially a stand at Freshers Fair once a year, plus an occasional Facebook post every few months to former students who went to one match (if that) during their time in Exeter. As I said, it's a complete and utter embarrassment that we don't do more. We should be all over Exeter University as a potential gold mine of lifelong supporters. I still follow the results of Gamba Osaka and Cerezo Osaka from living in Japan in my mid 20s. University years are formative years. And there is a helluva lot of Exeter University students!
Seems as if you are still living in Japan, if the Grecian Soc is the full extent of your knowledge ! There is a whole wide world out there beyond Facebook!

ex_user1234

Resigned
Seems as if you are still living in Japan, if the Grecian Soc is the full extent of your knowledge ! There is a whole wide world out there beyond Facebook!
Oh right. Are all the ECFC students on TikTok and I've missed them? Please.

Dannyred

The club should be doing a lot of things to build more interest but they don’t seem bothered or maybe they just lack the skilled people to do it.

Big world out there and we need the right people at our club to move us forward.

ex_user1234

Resigned
The club should be doing a lot of things to build more interest but they don’t seem bothered or maybe they just lack the skilled people to do it.

Big world out there and we need the right people at our club to move us forward.
Lack of knowledge and lack of skillset. Marketing is the weakest part of the Club.

lamrobhero

Lack of knowledge and lack of skillset. Marketing is the weakest part of the Club.
On the marketing front, I think I recall you saying something to the effect that 'all that most people care about is winning' , so I assume that will be the message. Not sure how successful that will be .

Legohead

Banned
The most effective form of marketing is having a winning team.

This is human nature.

I've said before that a number of struggling clubs have had matches where they let in fans for free yet they don't even get close to filling their small grounds.

Morecambe and Dagenham being prime examples.

You can only offer so much as a L2 club. It's not as if people don't know that there is a football club in exeter.

Spending huge amounts of time and money marketing a product that even the majority of people in Exeter aren't interested in (the football club) isn't likely to get most newcomers to the city interested either.

The only way a club like Exeter will attract significantly more fans than usual and for the longer term is if they are successful on the pitch.

As this is flawed due to success being either fleeting or non existant, the club would be better served putting their time, energy and efforts into ensuring the current regular fans don't get disillusioned and alienated and thus stop attending.

If more lower league clubs concentrated on appreciating what fans they DO have then they would be able to ensure that attendances keep stable even during poor runs.

The reality is we are a league 2 football club not Barcelona.

Last edited:

lamrobhero

This is human nature.

I've said before that a number of struggling clubs have had matches where they let in fans for free yet they don't even get close to filling their small grounds.

You can only offer so much as a L2 club. It's not as if people don't know that there is a football club in exeter.

Spending huge amounts of time and money marketing a product that even the majority of people in Exeter aren't interested in (the football club) isn't likely to get most newcomers to the city interested either.

The only way a club like Exeter will attract significantly more fans than usual and for the longer term is if they are successful on the pitch.

As this is flawed due to success being either fleeting or non existant, the club would be better served putting their time, energy and efforts into ensuring the current regular fans don't get disillusioned and alienated and thus stop attending.

If more lower league clubs concentrated on appreciating what fans they DO have then they would be able to ensure that attendances keep stable even during poor runs.

I think that Trust ownership and the Trust ethos is a very strong and unique Brand Identity. So if you ditch it you need to establish a new one based on the values of the new regime.

ex_user1234

Resigned

This is human nature.

Of course winning helps, but it is far from the only thing to attract people to matches. I would also question that most people in Exeter know we have a football team. For an organisation that has a turnover of approximately £4 million, to spend a few thousand quid on marketing per year is not the sign of a well-run business.