• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it time for serious changes at the club

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Elections are necessary to ensure that members have ultimate control. If they're uncontested while things tick along, fine. But, the mechanism is there as a safety valve. Wasn't long ago the club was run by criminals. Would he good to have the means to bin them... That doesn't change as time goes by with responsible stewardship. I'm all for ambition and hearing creative ideas. But fetishising a misplaced sense of entitlement as ambition and snake oil horse***t... Come on. I want to win and see us do well. I also want to be significantly richer than I am, but when messages pop up on my Facebook offering me 5 simple steps to great wealth, I see them for what they are.

Anyway... Go 'ed, Ed. Tell us the masterplan that defies what appears to be the current laws of reality. I'm skeptical, but of course I accept that you can get ahead by adopting new good ideas. So let's hear.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Thing is Max if people are putting themselves up for election to the Trust I personally would vote for someone who is seen around the club on a matchday who are already doing something like Neil Le etc and not someone who's face I've only seen when the elections were taking place.
The people seen at SJP engaging with fans every time even if its only to say hello in passing has more chance of being elected.

If someone outside of the Trust has a viable plan to bring in extra cashflow or members then let them put it in writing and hand it in to an already serving member.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thing is Max if people are putting themselves up for election to the Trust I personally would vote for someone who is seen around the club on a matchday who are already doing something like Neil Le etc and not someone who's face I've only seen when the elections were taking place.
Therein lies the problem. Just because you recognise a person doesn't mean they have a better skillset than those less well known. You're not the only person to do this - I would imagine the vast majority of votes will be cast due to what you describe.

IndoMike

Firstly, I'm not sure which "generation" you're lumping me into. I'm neither yet of the old boys club who remember the pitch when it was a potato field during the war, neither am I a younger lad who's just got into his beers and is following his local team to every away game. In football terms, I'd be a veteran on a pay per play deal (33).

My background is in branding, my expertise is to maximise the selling points of a product/service and tell a story to do that - I can only speak from my perspective - I'm **** with numbers, my organisation skills aren't world-beating and I have little idea of supply chains etc etc. What I am good at is looking at how an organisation is perceived and analysing that - I'm not looking to stir the pot at all, The Trust does come across like a committee of thrown together members, all as Ed says, well meaning but not exactly a bespoke team built for success. This is not the individuals fault, but a structural one. No matter how talented or intelligent people are (and these of course have existed in the 20 years of its existence) with volunteering you're only ever going to get part of someones time (if not a student or a retiree), often when they're tired in the evenings or a weekends.

So, although some might feel insulted - I'm going to stick by the village hall perception. Whether that's true or not it doesn't matter. Everything from the multiple word doc letters through the door to the not being able to vote online (I note that in a recent meeting they're looking to address this, which is good). I have concerns about how people get voted in too - as I've said before, if you know enough people around the ground, such is the turnout. It begs the question - are elections even necessary? Often uncontested, or 8 places for 10 people (or whatever it is) If people want to help and use their expertise, let them help. The current system potentially shuts out "unknowns" or the possibly the marmite characters when they could well bring some energy to it all. Once an election is "lost" (based mainly on votes from mates) that person might not come back again to help. Doesn't make sense to me. It's a small club and an even smaller percentage are willing to give up their time for this stuff.

This may all seem harsh, it's just an honest opinion as to why The Trust fails to engage large sections of our fanbase, no doubt there will be people who feel very differently. Before you ask -- do I have the time to help with any sort of effectiveness? Currently, no. I might in the future, I wouldn't rule it out.
Wrong recipient

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Why not copy/paste your original election
campaign statement and ideas for financial develooment. Presumably your thoughts haven't changed much since then
(Friendly suggestion to save you time).
I assume you didn't mean to quote me Indo :D

IndoMike

Yep, probably. Good idea. I'll set one up. It'll be later this weekend as I have to do stuff outside of Exeweb!
Ed Why not copy/paste your original election
campaign statement and ideas for financial development. Presumably your thoughts haven't changed much since then
(Friendly suggestion to save you time).

IndoMike

I assume you didn't mean to quote me Indo :D
Oops. My mind is on pizza

Grecian Max

Oops. My mind is on pizza
Now I want pizza, last thing I need in quarantine with little movement

grecIAN Harris

Why is it I get the impression Ian that you always want to be somewhere else and when you get there you still aren't satisfied and want again to be somewhere else. We have to think bigger for success? The thing with that mindset is it never ends. There is always bigger, always somewhere higher to be. What about the now? I think we have been successful and are successful now. Why chase what you already have? What on earth is so glorious further up the pyramid that we don't have now?
A better team, a better standard of football. I see nothing wrong in trying improve yourself. It doesn't always work out, I can tell you that from my own personal experience. But at least I tried and won't live life thinking what if and it's the same with City. I look back 30 years and think what if we had built on to that very successful side. Grimsby, Cambridge and Southend did and all went up again. I see nothing wrong in trying to build and adapt our current situation to make it better. If it doesn't work out, well at least we had go. And no, before you jump in, that's not have a go at all cost as I've stated previously in this thread. It needs to be done properly but a bit like you, a lot of City fans and The Trust seem to be sat in this comotosed cosy bubble. That's nice for now but eventually it leads to stagnation and things that stagnate lose their appeal.

IndoMike

Now I want pizza, last thing I need in quarantine with little movement
Haven't had pizza for ages, Max, but we decided fark it we'll get one (Super Supreme - Large).