• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City Moments You Wished You Could See Again

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are a few gems in the Grecians on TV thread on the Exeter City Memories sub forum.
That's great! Thanks... wasn't aware of this.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
My most favourite memory was the Newcastle home game, massive crowd under the lights, white hot atmosphere, amazing win. I will never forget it. Newport away in 83 and Hereford away in the year we won the league under Terry Cooper are pretty memorable too. Beating Argyle away when Alan Ball was manager another big one, and watch the YouTube clip now and again to cheer me up. Maybe it's an age thing, I was 12 when we played Newcastle and 21 in the championship year under Cooper, and I have stronger memories of those days than the more recent successes, although Rotherham was a big one, and the first trip to Wembley even though we lost

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
How about the abortive trip to Northampton in 1986 mate 😁

Avening Posse

^^^^
How about the abortive trip to Northampton in 1986 mate 😁
If you mean the day out in Newport, yes how could I forget :cool:

Oldsmobile-88

If you mean the day out in Newport, yes how could I forget :cool:
I bet that chant got a bit of a airing 😎 ( pic from the next season when the Grecians did play there)

Who was it who hired the coach initially ? Was it a Dawlish lads coach ?925152F4-7A5F-45DF-BC19-39AF1644E64E.jpeg

fred binneys head

Brilliant that it's a British flag with AWL on it :)

Oldsmobile-88

Brilliant that it's a British flag with AWL on it :)
There was a debate on a forum(may have been this one) about when the use of English teams football flags migrated to using the Cross of St George instead.
The consensus was it happened around Italia 90.

I have often wondered why it happened then & not before.
The other three home nations always had their own national flag at football grounds...Interesting why English teams held onto the Union Flag for so long(as indeed did the national side)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
There was a debate on a forum(may have been this one) about when the use of English teams football flags migrated to using the Cross of St George instead.
The consensus was it happened around Italia 90.
Nah. Euro 96 surely?

Oldsmobile-88

Nah. Euro 96 surely?
Maybe...I honestly can’t remember..
Definitely was the Cross of St George adopted for that tournament,but I think the change over was before that.