• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't know about Brighthouse, but Carluccios has been teetering on the brink for some time. Yes, there'll be more casualties - I just hope that the government doesn't rescue those that were about to go under anyway and throw good money after bad. It's a tough call but I don't think they can differentiate.
Brighthouse I'm in two minds about their demise, While it's sad that people will lose their jobs they have preyed on people who can't afford to buy stuff outright and can't get credit, They "Rent" you stuff for a weekly amount until the price is paid then its yours but charge really high interest rates where in the end people pay double or even triple the actual price

arthur

Brighthouse I'm in two minds about their demise, While it's sad that people will lose their jobs they have preyed on people who can't afford to buy stuff outright and can't get credit, They "Rent" you stuff for a weekly amount until the price is paid then its yours but charge really high interest rates where in the end people pay double or even triple the actual price
Yes. And what was particularly pernicious about their business model was that (as far as I am aware) you had to physically go into their shops to a make your weekly/monthly payment, thereby being exposed regularly to yet more goodies you couldn't afford at prices per week that looked superficially affordable.

They used to be Radio Rentals apparently....

Oldsmobile-88

Yes. And what was particularly pernicious about their business model was that (as far as I am aware) you had to physically go into their shops to a make your weekly/monthly payment, thereby being exposed regularly to yet more goodies you couldn't afford at prices per week that looked superficially affordable.

Ingenuous with the last sentence art..The rest is spot on though.

Loved Radio Rentals.I can still remember trotting down Sidwell St to pay the rent on my 26” Stereo Colour TV once a month,from 1983 until 1988.

DB9

No comparison to Radio Rentals now, At least when RR were around nearly everybody rented their TV, Never owned them and changed them when you wanted too

Rosencrantz

Ingenuous with the last sentence art..The rest is spot on though.

Loved Radio Rentals.I can still remember trotting down Sidwell St to pay the rent on my 26” Stereo Colour TV once a month,from 1983 until 1988.
I remember our family having a Rediffusion TV when I was a kid in the eighties. Can even just about remember my great grandmother using one of these...

Mr Jinx

The more I read about Brighthouse, the more I think good riddance.

Mr Jinx

No comparison to Radio Rentals now, At least when RR were around nearly everybody rented their TV, Never owned them and changed them when you wanted too
I guess that's one redundant job now - the TV repair man.

We owned our own TV which was always treated with the utmost respect. When it went on the blink there would always be a nervy few days until this god like creature came into your home and got it all working again (probably for a small fortune!).

DB9

We owned our own TV which was always treated with the utmost respect. When it went on the blink there would always be a nervy few days until this god like creature came into your home and got it all working again (probably for a small fortune!).
Blimey, You were posh! :D :D

Oldsmobile-88

I briefly did TV & Radio at College before embarking in a different direction on the gas industry..The one thing that kept me in good stead years later was the ability to electrically solder which i picked up well & remembered.

My TV on/off switch was knackered(this was a few years back) I was told it was not worth looking at or repairing(The TV was only 5 years old & was not cheap at the time !)

I investigated & it was just a microswitch issue.I bought one for £2 & fitted & soldered the wires to it(a bit awkward)Saved a few hundred quid & the TV went on for years.

geoffwp

I don't think we owned a tv until well into the 60's. First football I ever saw on TV was the 1957 fa cup final between Villa and ManU which Villa won. A mate of my dad's had a set and invited us over to watch. I think it was from that moment I was hooked on the game. Close family friends also had a box and I remember being there as a kid while their teenage daughters were watching 6-5 special. The theme tune to it has stuck with me ever since.