• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The claim (at the time) was that a policy of allowing unrestricted, exponential viral growth within a community, with minimal testing, would also enable a 'flattening of the sombrero' (aka protecting the NHS from being overrun) ? Totally illogical, of course, but the Journos never questioned that logic, since revised.

Cynics have argued it's a wrecking ball strategy, a relatively speedy carnage for the NHS and elderly, but resulting in large scale immunity (hopefully) providing the shield for the elderly and vulnerable in future, and a speedy return to economic productivity.

Herd immunity was a strategic gamble, putting the economy before the people, once that became evident, cue the outcry. Now it's being done by stealth. Minimal testing ? Lack of PPE ? Still a partial lockdown ?
I don't think it is a herd immunity by stealth policy Elgy. Just the lack of preparation with testing kits and lack of PPE. Most things that go wrong in government are down to the c*ck up factor.

Who knows on the herd immunity strategy ? In a couple of years the learned scientists might be saying that laying waste to whole swathes of the economy was counter productive if there are lots of suicides and health problems of those who have had their businesses destroyed, savings and pensions devastated etc.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
A good read Stuffers (y) Two great men who worked together despite their differences. An example of a PM who kept on an advisor who would robustly challenge his own views. Churchill was an inspirational wartime leader but no great military strategist. Alanbrooke understood military and strategic issues but not always the bigger political picture. Teamwork.
Thank you Al, any sort of praise regularly passes me by - not that I'm particularly bothered though. ;) To add to Alanbrookes dislike list you have to add the French generals who, along with British Expeditionary Force, were supposed to be formulating plans to repel the coming German onslaught in 1939. In his published autobiography, an exasperated Alanbrooke complained that: "all they want to talk about is what dishes will be served in the mess that evening." Also, when he called U.S. Admiral Ernest King a drunk he might have added that he also hated we British. It appears that in those distant days we had few friends as even Field Marshal Rommel noted that the French "preferred we Germans to the British."

IndoMike

I don't think it is a herd immunity by stealth policy Elgy. Just the lack of preparation with testing kits and lack of PPE. Most things that go wrong in government are down to the c*ck up factor.

Who knows on the herd immunity strategy ? In a couple of years the learned scientists might be saying that laying waste to whole swathes of the economy was counter productive if there are lots of suicides and health problems of those who have had their businesses destroyed, savings and pensions devastated etc.
I watched a youngish professor (I forget professor of what) on TV this morning and he actually said that if the population of the USA fell to 50 mIllIon it would be easier to manage 🥴

arthur

During the virtual lobby briefing attended by our deputy political editor, Rowena Mason, the government also continued to rule out any extension of the Brexit transition period.

The prime minister’s official spokesman said: “The transition period ends on December 31, 2020. That is enshrined in UK law.”

Further proof, if proof were needed, that this government has no intention of striking any sort of trade deal with the EU

IndoMike

They can rule out a trade deal with China after Johnson's (rightly or wrongly) aggressive remarks about the country.

elginCity

Don't believe the shortage of gloves and masks is a c*ck up, Al. Deliberately exposing NHS staff, with delayed testing and tracing, should mean subsequent immunity for the vast majority of them. All part of the plan.

Re the economy, you make a valid point, but that would also happen to an extent with the original herd immunity strategy; fear, layoffs, sickness and death. Not to mention borders and our markets elsewhere closing. The exponential herd immunity figures after modelling frightened them and us, so they've now changed tack, but I still believe they have one eye on minimising a second wave through widespread immunity. Thing is, the vaccine might even prevent that happening, it's a concerted worldwide effort now.

With all the advantages of the advanced warnings/data we've benefited from, I'd have preferred to see an early enforced lockdown, mass testing and contact tracing, isolating clusters to enable the majority of us to live our lives. We live on an island, and 'taken back control of our borders', no reason why what worked in SKorea, Taiwan and Singapore, wouldn't have worked here. All they had to do when nipping this in the bud was to manage 'virus fatigue'. Much easier in an enforced and total lockdown.

DB9

Brighthouse the rent-to-own company collapes with 2,400 jobs now at risk, Also Carluccio's is nearing collaspe, Tough times for everyone

Mr Jinx

Brighthouse the rent-to-own company collapes with 2,400 jobs now at risk, Also Carluccio's is nearing collaspe, Tough times for everyone
Don't know about Brighthouse, but Carluccios has been teetering on the brink for some time. Yes, there'll be more casualties - I just hope that the government doesn't rescue those that were about to go under anyway and throw good money after bad. It's a tough call but I don't think they can differentiate.

Alistair20000

Don't know about Brighthouse, but Carluccios has been teetering on the brink for some time. Yes, there'll be more casualties - I just hope that the government doesn't rescue those that were about to go under anyway and throw good money after bad. It's a tough call but I don't think they can differentiate.
You are right, Carluccios is one of those "casual dining" chains of restaurant that has been heading towards the knackers yard for some time now. Differentiating will be hard to implement. The idea of the government "picking winners" has never worked well. Remember the corporate joke called DeLorean ?

On a related topic, the scheme to support the self employed with sensible support is full of holes. There are ludicrous anomalies in the scheme. Not surprising I suppose as it is being made up on the hoof.

Oldsmobile-88

The PCP car finance model is the next to hit the buffers I expect..That has been a ticking financial time bomb for years.
If consumers cannot keep up repayments cars will have to be handed back & hope being there is enough residual equity in the vehicle to pay off the contract.There should be,because they are newish,but if the market is flooded with cars prices will fall sharply.

Thinking of buying a nice motor ? Hang on until the winter.