• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
So we would need to rearrange 4 games which are due to take place between now and the 4th April - 3 weeks.Lose that lot down the road on Sky too.
The play offs after that so realistically the Sky Bet League Two final would be moved back to Saturday 16th May? (3 weeks after the scheduled date)
This April date smacks of a holding position to me, considering early April is thought to be the start of the surge of virus cases, I would expect no footy anytime before June. I’m erring toward them announcing a complete cancellation of the season with all promotion and relegation issues null and void.

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
IMO, and I say this as a Man U fan, I don't see too much of an issue with Liverpool being awarded the title.

Clearly, issues of promotion and relegation are rather more complicated, but I don't think even the most ardent Man City fan is going to argue that they're still in with a shout of retaining their Premier League crown.
Neither do I Egg - they clearly deserve to win it; however, if they decided the season couldn't finish in the Premier League, then they can't finish the season in any league due to the promotion and relegation issue.

They then can't award Liverpool the title either, as they would have to be accepting (legally, I guess) that the league positions at the time of suspension are the valid end-of-season positions; at which point, they have to promote/relegate all of the teams in those respective positions, surely?

Then watch the lawsuits start as teams claim they would have got promoted/stayed up..........or if they say season is cancelled, those that claim the positions should stand at that point. LOL

I sincerely hope it isn't, but it could be absolute carnage.

eurogrecian

Everton finance director predicting football behind closed doors. Panic measure or not, I don’t think this is not going to end well....
Not sure how many smaller clubs are going to survive this. Quite a number are in a serious financial mess even when they do have revenue coming in.....
City look better placed than some.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't see it restarting in April. Things will inevitably be worse at that point. Might be a case for putting the euros off by a year and finishing domestic leagues in the summer?

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
Can't see it restarting in April. Things will inevitably be worse at that point. Might be a case for putting the euros off by a year and finishing domestic leagues in the summer?
Looks like they will do that anyway (cancel the Euros), so that would make sense tbh

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Salford's big day out at Wembley in the EFL Trophy final going down the drain.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Salford's big day out at Wembley in the EFL Trophy final going down the drain.
That's after the proposed restart date though, isn't it?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That's after the proposed restart date though, isn't it?
Yes, but I don't think it'll happen.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
The easiest thing is to delay ...fans won't lose on their season tickets, the players still get paid (a loan from.the EFL could be made to the teams who need it).. Complete the season in July or August or September, then go straight on to the next season but with a months break in January
If the virus is still around in the summer we're all farked anyway. No point dilly dallying now. Shut the season down temporarily.
Im no micro biologist but from what I can gather, if this virus runs much the same as others of its type, it may well go quiet in the summer but then come back again later in the year and keep doing this until there is a vaccine developed and a thorough programme of vaccination in place. Until then my 8ft razor wire fence and locked border post stay where they are along with my 1 year supply of bog roll, red wine and gin. Sorted.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't like to see the club lose money, but think a refund should be an option or vouchers to games for next season or extra discount for season tickets next season.
Most of those who've responded on Twitter to the chairman's offer have said they won't be taking it up. I'd imagine it would be a not-dissimilar situation at other clubs.